Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angular 2 Components

Angular 2 Components

Hi,

Am I correct in assuming that it would be possible to incorporate Angular 2 components into Lianja? Say, for example, from PrimeNG?

Cheers,

Rob C

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Rob,

Lianja itself is a complete meta framework. As you know it provides a wireframe of components and functionality targeting business applications.

Angular 2 is much more low level and coding centric. It is written in typescript which is transpiled into JavaScript.

It is is unlikely that any third party angular2 components will run in desktop WebViews.

With the ease of building web and mobile business apps in Lianja already I fail to see what benefit angular 2 would bring as this is an MVC code-centric framework.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Barry,

Sorry, my ignorance is probably showing. I'm primarily a VFP developer having to learn a large amount of new things in a very short time.

As you know, we have a large VFP system for vehicle management and we've proposed Lianja to provide a Web/App system for one of our clients. We VFP developer's are, obviously, very pro Lianja but we are having to field lots of questions raised by our app dev managers who want us to develop the new Web/App system using Angular 2 and Ionic.

They have the predictable issues about committing to non-standard, non-traditional platforms (I know...Angular 2 is what...3 months old in "stable" form) when they really mean is that it's simply not-their-way-of-doing-things. Still, I'm doing my best to get Lianja in the door.

One of the issues they raised was that they want want to be able to create a UI using the very latest controls and toys from the PrimeNG library. This is why I raised the question about Angular 2 components in Lianja. It seemed like it should be possible though, again, that may be my ignorance showing through! In general, I'm trying to find a way to bridge the gap between us, who want to adopt Lianja, and the traditionalists, who want to do things their way. It occurred to me that I can position Lianja as providing the database back end and client framework within which a traditional Angular 2 app could be hosted, they might be more willing to give Lianja a try.

We VFP developers are confident that once we get Lianja in the door it will sell itself. We're just finding it difficult to get that first opportunity.

Cheers,

Rob C.

Lianja MVP
    Hi Rob

Sure, I am not a person who can say anything about Angular vs Lianja.
    I have access to Lianja betas and was exploring folders and seeing new folder (new for me) named materialize.
    I clicked around and was sent to http://materializecss.com/
    It seems similar to Angular, at the first look (for me, excuse my ignorance).

As a VFP developer I know nothing yet about Material Design, but I am sure Lianja team will bring new technology in front of our VFP feet.
    The second, look what Herb is mixing with Pinegrow, Kendo UI... (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUc...=dd&shelf_id=0 )

Yes, it is hard for us to accept these new stuff.
    But, as you knew before, when it came to data, there was nothing like VFP.
    And Lianja is a new VFP. Lianja team is very very datacentric.

Maybe you have no time to wait, but keep that in mind.
    While building fancy stuff you could stuck regarding data.

Josip
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-01-16 at 11:31.

Josip,

It's not really a case of comparing the two systems. Me and my VFP developer are well aware of the benefits of Lianja which is why we want it. Still, we work within a very large development company and in order to adopt a new platform I have to get approval of my dev management and this is proving a bit tricky. I just thought that if I could tell them that they could use their Angular 2 components within a Lianja web view section, it would remove one more barrier to their accepting it.

Cheers,

Rob C.

Lianja MVP
    Hi Rob,

as Josip points out, Herb has shown that KendoUI (which has commercial support, and is based on JQuery which is included in Lianja) works easily with Lianja. It will work much more easily with Lianja in 4.2 (per the Roadmap).

KendoUI (from Telerik) probably has everything PrimeNG has, and I would think being commercially supported would be a deciding factor. I know that in my day role as CTO of a software ISV it is. Given what I know about what it takes to make this stuff work aside from the controls themselves, there is no way I would venture down the road of working outside of Lianja: it would wreck our business model.

Good luck,

Hank

Hank,

I'm sold and I'm doing my best to convince my company but I am but a small fish in a very large pond

Cheers,

Rob C

Lianja MVP
    A small fish can propose a duel: let the same small but characteristic (datacentric) app be developed in Lianja and by big Angular boys.
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-01-16 at 14:04.

Lianja MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by josipradnik View Post
    A small fish can propose a duel: let the same small but characteristic (datacentric) app be developed in Lianja and by big Angular boys.
    And make sure the test includes a) full production deployment with b) a multi-tenant database and c) user roles and permissions and d) PhoneGap and Electron app deployment. That way you can take a week or two of vacation waiting for the other team to finish.

Hi Rob,

As Hank pointed out, I use RSP pages to serve json result sets to Kendo and Jquery objects.
    This way, I get to leverage the existing data logic that is already in place, and the rest of team can work in the bootstrap themes that the designers have chosen.

Lianja is huge. There are so many ways to get things done.

If you get stuck on creating the rsp pages, give me shout out.

Herb