Thread: ODBC driver failed to creat DSN

ODBC driver failed to creat DSN

Dear All,
    I wanted to create a DSN to use with Crystal report XI prof for testing advanced reporting options.
    I created teh DSN following the sample DSN provided for the Southwind DB unfortunately it is not connecting to my DB. Below is the lianja ODBC diagnostic:
    testing DSN 'lianja_gesavoc'
    SQLAllochadle(SQL_HANDLE_ENV) : successful completion
    SQLSetEnvAttr(SQL_ATTR_ODBC_VRSION,SQL_OV_ODBC3) :successful completion
    SQLQllocHandle(SQL_HANDEL_DBC) : successful completion
    SQLSetConnectAttr(SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT,5): successful completion
    SQLDriverConnect(lianja_gesavoc) : SQL_Error Database 'gesavoc' The system cannot find the file specified.
    But when I use the southwind odbc it can connect properly.
    Parameters used to create the DSN are:
    DSN Name: lianja_gesavoc
    server: localhost
    user: ?
    passw: ?
    DATABASE : gesavoc (name of the db)

Thank you for your help

Esperant

Lianja MVP
    Can you connect to the database through the DSN from VFP?

Did you make it a System DSN?

Hank

Hi Esperant,

Did you deploy the gesavoc database?

http://www.lianja.com/doc/index.php/...ocal_Directory

Regards,

Yvonne

Hi Yvonne and Hank,
    It's just a local system DNS I'm trying to create locally to use in my development environment.
    I didn't deploy the database.
    As you can see in my post, the DSN can't be created; "the system cannot find the file specified"

Regards,

Esperant

Hi Yvonne,
    If I get you properly, I can't create the DSN until the database is published?

Regards,

Esperant

Lianja MVP
    Hi Esperant,

yes, you have to deploy the database. The Lianja ODBC driver connects to the Lianja SQL Server, which (unless you have changed the location of the databases in the Server Manager Settings page) looks for the database in the normal deployed data directory.

hth,

Hank

Thank you for the advise Hank.
    Because of the disparity of development and production environmenets, I think that the best option is to have a good lab like a production environment with a server where database is to be loaded and all virtual tables created so that the deployment can run smoothly.

Regards,

Esperant

Lianja MVP
    Hi Esperant,

if you have an APaaS, you've got a test environment built-in. When you "deploy" you are pushing to a test environment. While the APaaS Cloud Server can't be hit from outside the network you are on, other than that the environment is identical to production deployment. I wrote a script that allows me to deploy while still in the app, because as you note it's possible that some things can only be tested in deployment.

I make a distinction between test (which I do as above), QA (separate server, wide variety of data to try to force edge conditions), staging (the customer's data, final QA run-through) and production. The staging is sometimes important for verifying that a gnarly database structure update will run flawlessly.

Hank