Thread: Variable with a value the same as the variable name

Variable with a value the same as the variable name

Hi,

I am not purposely trying to break things but this weird situation came up just because of an external database design . Here is a simplified version of the code that reproduces the problem:

Code:
    proc page1_section2_field2_click()	

local a = "TableName"
    	AddColumn(a)	

endproc

proc AddColumn(tableName)

s = "alter table ipranges add column &tableName char(30)"
    	&s

//At this point tableName has been overwritten, I'm not sure with what but I suspect it
            //may be an empty string of 30 chrs	
    endproc
    I have tried with other combinations & it happens every time, the issue seems to be passing in the string value "TableName" to a variable with the name 'tableName'. If the value and variable name are different then all is ok.

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you realize that in VFP and Lianja/VFP field names have a higher precedence than variables. So if you have a field called name and a variable called name the field will be looked up first.

It is common practice therefore to name variables prefixed with m_ e.g. m_name so as to avoid name clashes.

Lianja and VFP are data centric languages.

Please read the Lianja essentials doc to get a better understanding of this.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Lianja MVP
    Hi,

I would never use "macro inside of macro" like that in my VFP days.
    One macro too much.
    Instead:

Code:
    s = "alter table ipranges add column "+tableName+" char(30)"
    &s

I was just doing it like this for convenience Josip, noted though thanks

Quote Originally Posted by josipradnik View Post
    Hi,

I would never use "macro inside of macro" like that in my VFP days.
    One macro too much.
    Instead:

Code:
    s = "alter table ipranges add column "+tableName+" char(30)"
    &s

Thanks Barry, I had read that document but didn't see anything about field/variable precedence...and I don't know VFP.

I think I get it though - if my current open table is 'table1' and it has a column 'firstname' then any reference to 'firstname' will actually return the current value of that column & if I have a variable called 'firstname' the column is being accessed instead of my variable.

I my case the column doesn't exist initially so my variable seems fine, as soon as the column is created then I am actually reading the column value, not my variable value so it gives the impression that the variable is being overwritten.

Further tests show that if I close the table & then I access my variable again it is fine (because I am now reading the variable again and not the field).

Sorry for the blurb but I just put this down for my own sanity and for anyone else that may not understand how this works.

Lianja MVP
    I use textmerge() (as I've suggested before) in situations like this:

Code:
    lcDDL = textmerge("alter table ipranges add column <<lcTableName>> char(30)")
    &lcDDL
    Also:

you can, in VFP and in Lianja, use m. before a variable to enforce the distinction between a variable and a field name. I (and many others from the old school) use l, p and g as a prefix to vars to indicate their scope (local, private, global). This creates another distinction. While I could concoct a context where a collision would occur, I've never had one happen in 25 years of using that naming method.

I also notice that you used in your function definition:

Code:
    proc(a)
    While this is allowed, if Lianja follows VFP on this, a will be declared private in that scenario. As a matter of housekeeping, I prefer the parameters to be local (what's said here, stays here). This is accomplished with the the LPARAMETERS statement:

Code:
    procedure AddColumn
    lParameters tcTableName
    The t before cTableName is a naming convention that indicates "this is a local variable passed to this procedure," thus distinguishing it from a a local variable created in the procedure. As a matter of practice, I do not set t... vars to a different value than passed: makes debugging much easier to know what the value was when passed.

hth,

Hank

Thanks for all the info Hank & I agree totally with keeping all scope as local as possible as far as possible.

Just a note on your comment about 'proc(a) resulting in a private variable in that function' - I did some tests and it seems not to be the case. If my test below is sound then it looks like 'tcPassedIn1' is local to 'Test1' and not private:

Code:
    proc page1_section2_field2_click()	

local lcTest

lcTest = "Original String"
    	Test1(lcTest)

MessageBox(lcTest, 0)

endproc

proc Test1(tcPassedIn1)

tcPassedIn1 = "Var not overwritten"

Test2(tcPassedIn1)

MessageBox(tcPassedIn1, 0)

endproc

proc Test2(tcPassedIn2)

tcPassedIn2 = "Var overwritten"

endproc

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Parameters in the proc declaration are local as you point out.

This is not standard VFP, it's another useful extension that reduces typing.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin