Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to deal with VFP's local and remote views?

Lianja MVP
    HI Paul,

yes, we will create your VT's from the xCase views. It will be a little bit of work (for us, not you <s>) because Lianja's SQL parser does not (to my knowledge) currently handle the nested parens that xCase uses, but instead requires the name of the table being joined ahead of the JOIN syntax. It's all doable (I've already been experimenting with the conversion).

I've got one project I'm finishing up now, and then my "ProSysPlus" time will be focused on the PSP4Lianja ecosystem.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Hello again Hank,

That's entirely my idea; a little work for you and a fantastic tool for all of us.

I am eagerly awaiting the launch and in the meantime shall spend time, learning Lianja. I noticed "no coding developers" are being targeted, that group shall surely ... off topic!

Wishing you a prosperous time;-)

Ernst Paul

Lianja MVP
    Hi Paul,

"NoCode" (tm by Lianja) development has a long tradition in organizations. I've seen excel spreadsheets and a word table organizing very important activities in a Farraday-shielded. guarded location on a guarded site. They would have been much better off with Lianja, had it existed. <s>

And then, when the users want to do more, they can learn a little more and do it. Some of those users will become domain expert developers: not professional developers, but developers that know their domain well enough that with the appropriate tool they can get the work done. Professional developers, who don't know the domain, would a) be unlikely to do as well, in terms of capturing the user needs; and b) probably wouldn't do at all because they, the professional developers, are busy doing "real" work. And if the Professional Developers were to do the work, they would a) over-complicate it; and b) have a unacceptable timeframe ("we can get to it in 6 months" is the shortest timreframe I've heard in any organization).

Domain expert developers have the advantage of working with no meetings. They articulate their expertise through the app, which allows iterative development (do it until it feels right). Verbal communication is always partial, and thus the usual software development cycle whether agile or not has to go back and forth with the "stakeholders," in order to fill in the inevitable gaps. Frankly, I'm happy for my background in psychology when I'm in a situation where there is not a domain expert developer, as the skills needed to get a set of specifications is much closer to psychological interviewing than it is to software development. And I'm happiest when there is a domain expert developer who I can simply guide as to how they can accomplish what they need.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Quite!

Although I presume that CIO's in many financial, health and government institutions, are going to take some time in embracing the idea.

The combination of Lianja and PSP4Lianja, is going to be difficult to ignore. Hello Lianja!

Ernst Paul

Hi Paul

Yes, i agree with you 200%

I have in the past worked with Hank using xcase2vpm and that saved months of development work for my team

Looking forward to PSP4Lianja!

Thanks & Best Regards