Thread: [Answers] Lianja SQL Server

Threaded View

Lianja MVP

[Answers] Lianja SQL Server

Q:
    Differences between the embedded database and Lianja SQL Server?
    A:
    There is no difference, the Lianja SQL Server is a means to allow you access to Lianja data from 3rd party programs or databases, primarily via ODBC.

Q:
    partial uninstall
    A:
    work around is to double click the uninstall.exe in the C:\Lianja\sqlserver\ directory directly.

Q:
    I am using Lianja SQL server from the same LAN. How can I tell my network admin to setup IP/hostnames to reduce delay.
    A:
    Try putting the IP/hostname mapping in the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file on the client.

Background Scripts you can create and run via the Lianja Server on Windows, so for anyone who is interested in using these, I hope this will guide you in their use and design.
    Background scripts can be used to perform data transformation, data synchronization or other custom operation on your data.
    Background scripts run with no UI.
    Each runs as a separate LianjaRunScript process.

They are primarily used to perform data collection tasks or batch job tasks such as checking for new or updated data and emailing out notifications to users.

Typically a background script will sleep for a period of time and then repeat its work. Background scripts have the standard program extensions of prg (Lianja/VFP script source) / dbo (compiled Lianja/VFP script) and reside in the Services folder (Lianja Server Manager Settings tab, by default 'C:\Lianja\server\services\').
    The Background Scripts tab in the Lianja Server Manager allows for the creation, modification and configuration of background scripts.
    http://www.lianja.com/community/show...=8626#post8626

The Lianja SQL Server uses the operating system user authentication/permissions. Specify a valid username and password for the server's host OS. You can also deny/allow connections based on ranges of or individual IP addresses in the Security settings of the Lianja Server Manager.

The lianja database engine is full 64 bit and has no practical file size limits as is detailed on the product pages.
    It has self healing indexes and is widely deployed around the world in defense, banking and finance systems.
    It is embedded in lianja app builder, lianja sql server and lianja cloud server.
    It is fast and lightweight.
    It is easy to install.
    It comes with both an odbc driver and a jdbc driver.
    It handles transparent connectivity to third party databases using virtual tables.
    You can write stored procedures and triggers in VFP.

Lianja SQL server is a SQL server as stated in the name. Saying that however, it does allow you to write stored procedures in VFP using the NoSQL commands. Lianja SQL Server as with native Lianja uses indexes automatically when performing queries.
    Lianja does not support table buffering.

Yes any type of binary file of any size can be stored as the database engine uses 64 bit file access. Space is automatically reclaimed on updates.
    yes, you are correct, with this functionality Lianja can easily be used as a NoSQL key/value database just create a table with two fields, key and value.

Code:
    create table NoSQL (key char(20) foreign key, value varchar)
    you can then perform very fast key/value lookups of JSON or XML encoded data stored in the value column.
    And of course the inherent problem of distributed updates in NoSQL databases does not exist in Lianja. Everyone sees the updates immediately.

Q:
    I've used the Lianja ODBC Manager to setup a connection to my VFP data and it tests out fine. I've setup a new database in the App Builder and used the option Create Virtual Tables from ODBC. It takes a a few minutes to complete and then I see all of my tables prefaced with "vt_". The problem is though that many of the tables, when clicked on, display a message say "File [vt_tablename] does not exist". A few tables are accessible - seems to be those with a very small number of fields. Is there something I missed?
    A:
    The Lianja ODBC Manager is for connecting to Lianja SQL Server data.
    For other data sources you need to use the ODBC driver specific to it. in your case you need to use the VFP ODBC driver.

The Lianja SQL Server is a complete SQL database server used for building client / server Apps. It is not just for providing third party access to Lianja data.
    You can install and run it on a separate server machine (Windows or Linux).
    It is the equivalent of MySQL or MSSQL.
    One big advantage is that you can write stored procedures in Lianja/VFP scripting.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-11-30 at 10:30.