Hi,

Barry asked that I move this discussion to the forum, (here). He has commented on some and I have more questions...

1. We use phdbase for fulltext searching of memo and character fields. The tables contains about a million records and each record's memo field has about 2000 characters. The search needs to be fast while returning info such as "number of matching records", proximity and weighted values, ant other. Note that MSSQL's full text capabilities can provide all the functionality the phdbase provides and that may be the ticket if Lianja can easily integrate this.

>Lianja does not support full text indexing.
a. Are you only referring to its native database? How would we replace the required full text searching that our clients have loved over the years with Lianja?

2. Does Lianja play well with all the .net libraries out there such as Leadtools Imaging, scanning, ocr, pdf and etc. I see that most notable 3rd party vendors all have invested in bringing their wares to the .net platform, and we would like to leverage their offerings. It’s now all about options and making sure our chosen dev platform can integrate with all...

>Yes. It has full COM/ActiveX support albeit just on windows not linux or Mac.
a. Do you ever expect to be able to use .net controls or libraries? I ask that because many 3rd party libraries are no longer developing activeX and/or com controls. Instead they have replaced those versions with .net and/or html5 versions which are being furtherly developed.

3. How is Lianja adapting to the NOW technologies like "Responsive Design" and "Disconnected Databases" that the world is quickly adapting for mobile computing.

>Responsive design is standard. Disconnected databases are on the development roadmap.
a. I hope we are talking about the same thing here… By responsive, I mean the form will automatically adapt to the device’s screen format.

4. Does Lianja have a "command window" such as VFP?

>Yes Lianja has a command window known as the command workspace.

5. What is Lianja's reporting limitations? Any graphing widgets, can it use 3rd party controls? Crystal Reports?

>Lianja has many built in charting components. You can integrate with crystal reports through Activex if required.

6. Is Lianja considered as fully OOP, as VFP menus and ?? were not.

>Yes.

7. Is it multi-threaded so control can be given back to the user as soon as a long running process is started? This is a productivity issue.

>No. You can however spawn concurrent execution of long running tasks.
a. Can the main parent instance still have control of the spawned process? Like cancelling the spawned or showing a progress bar?

8. Can multiple instances of Lianja be started?

>Lianja App Builder is used to develop apps in a single instance. Lianja App Center (runtime) can be run as many tines as you want.
a. So, if I was developing something and a client called and I needed to load up their code, are you saying that I cannot fire up another instance of Lianja to work on the customers issue without closing the previously opened instance?
9. Is the Lianja server license perpetual, where it can be used for years to come without any additional fees. I would expect to pay for any upgrades and/or support. We are without reservation shunning all tools and runtimes that requires an annual license...

>Yes, the license is perpetual.

10. FWIW, I attended the Alpha Developer conference last October in Boston and am very impressed with its offerings. However, and I mean however, its methodology about doing things is about as different as it can be for VFP developers. It's really strange for a VFP person, but would probably be easy for a clean slate (a person with no prior programming experience).

I would recommend you watch the videos online on the website and read through the developers guide.
a. I will watch more videos…

The download will provide you with a free 30 day trial.
a. I’ll do an eval after asking essential questions and based on whether I can live with the answers/limitations. It take a long time to discover the gotchas when evaluating, so its best to lay those questions out before deep diving…
Thanks,
Stanley