Thread: [Solved] LEN() value of unicode charater string

Threaded View

[Solved] LEN() value of unicode charater string

Hi, I am an amateur programmer considering a transition from VFP to Lianja. As one of my compatibility test, I am trying to import a VFP table with Korean character fields into embedded Lianja database table. First I tried appending directly from VFP table using 'append from' command. The result was full of question marks instead of Korean characters. Then I copied the VFP table to a csv file, which by default is an ANSI file, and converted it to a Unicode csv file, line by line, using a third party editor. When I appended records from this Unicode file, the Lianja table showed Korean characters correctly. But I have a problem: it seems that Lianja and VFP calculate the lengths of Korean character strings differently. In VFP the Len() functiion for one Korean character returns 2, while Lianja's Len() function returns 3. A long Korean character string saved in VFP column of 254 characters is truncated when imported into Lianja column of the same length. How can I solve this problem?
    Last edited by barrymavin; 2014-12-23 at 21:30.