Thread: Sections vs Gadgets

Sections vs Gadgets

Hello,

What is the main difference between sections and gadgets (other than the fact that sections contain gadgets)?
    More specifically, sections and gadgets have similar components such as grid, webview and charts.

How do I know whether I should be using one over the other and in what situations should I use the reverse?

Thanks,
    Cory

Hi Cory,

A Section has a table property, navigational methods and buttons and the ability to relate to other Sections. Use a gadget in a Section if the data displayed in the gadget is from that Section's table: a Google map gadget based on the address, an image gadget for an object field, a rich text editor gadget for the memo field, a grid gadget to display multiple records etc. If the data is from another related or unrelated table, put it in another Section, but you can also split data from the same table across sections.

Screen size is often a factor: for smaller screens, you may only be able to see one section at a time (example_tabletui App illustrates this), so a rich text editor gadget (bound to a memo field) would be better here as it could be seen alongside the rest of the fields from the same record. If you have a larger desktop screen, you might want to provide a separate section for editing the memo.

Regards,

Yvonne

Thank you Yvonne.