Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: A way for (German) "localisation"?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany, near Jena and Weimar
    Posts
    182

    A way for (German) "localisation"?

    Is there a way to translate (localize) the English operating dialogs into German?
    Georg

  2. #2
    Lianja Team yvonne.milne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,462
    Hi Georg,

    Text Translator

    Localization

    Regards,

    Yvonne

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany, near Jena and Weimar
    Posts
    182
    Thank you, Yvonne, for your response!

    However, I can not do much with the article because I can neither find the example app with the language translation example nor the translation table.
    What should appear in this translation table, e.g. all general messages of each app? Does this also include e.g. things like "Search, Reset, Is equal to" or "Add new record, Next record" etc.?
    In addition to the English original language, I would need corresponding expressions in other written languages, such as German, Upper and Lower Sorbian, maybe Russian. I could generate these tables by myself by copying the "master table" and fill in the corresponding other language. But I have no master table...

    By the way, I would need it for web apps.

    Regards
    Georg
    Last edited by gcjm; 2020-10-13 at 22:07.

  4. #4
    Lianja MVP
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Croatia, Zagreb
    Posts
    1,109
    Hi Georg,

    You need to create your database and table(s) in it.
    I did it and implemented in lianjademo app.
    I added Lianja's message "Record was updated." in original field and my translation in the other.
    Now when I change a record in lianjademo app, my translation shows up.

    In Yvonne's concept you add a new table for every new language, with suffix _XX of table name (in my case messages_hr)
    But you can do some other approach.

    I agree that such demo app would be nice to have.

    The question is where to find all Lianja's system messages (like "Record was updated.")
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2020-10-14 at 03:50.

  5. #5
    Lianja MVP
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Croatia, Zagreb
    Posts
    1,109

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany, near Jena and Weimar
    Posts
    182
    > You need to make your database and table(s) in it. <

    Thank you Josip!
    That's one more piece of information!
    It is a pity that there is no small example and especially, a "master table"!
    Which messages should be in it? Except the error messages?
    I see almost programming errors only...
    We need messages of the user interface too... for WebApps!

    Georg
    Last edited by gcjm; 2020-10-14 at 04:09.

  7. #7
    Lianja Team yvonne.milne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,462
    Hi Georg,

    I have put up a draft list of the Web client system messages here.

    If you are following the example scenario from the doc wiki, then your table needs 2 character fields for the original text and translated text (width 100 should be fine). I added a unique id field too in my example.

    Create the table with the original field and copy the message list into a text file, then you can append from ... delimited. Then add the translated field and data and any other fields you want.

    Regards,

    Yvonne

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany, near Jena and Weimar
    Posts
    182
    I didn't know whether the translation tables had to be in the database of my app or whether these should be in a separate database. I tried the last case...

    Some things work... for example the keylookup function is constantly accessed by the AppBuilder.
    This I don't want. This function should be for the user but not for the programmer.
    I only need the messages, labels and tooltips etc. of the user interface of the WebApp ...

    Georg.
    Thanks again... maybe you can help me a little further?

  9. #9
    Lianja Team yvonne.milne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    1,462
    Hi Georg,

    Either - the keylookup() example references the database (database!table).

    Lianja.isDevMode() or Lianja.isRuntimeMode() can be used in your code to determine whether you are in the App Builder or the client.

    Further UI localization is planned for Lianja v7.

    Regards,

    Yvonne

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Germany, near Jena and Weimar
    Posts
    182
    Ok, it works fine... but sorry it seems there are Error/Success messages only.

    the keylookup() example references the database (database!table)
    ok, I see!

    Further UI localization is planned for Lianja v7
    Late I'm afraid that by then I will have died ;-)

    In my previous programs in VFP I had a function for every (!) message (of mine) that first showed a German message, then you could enter another language once while the program was working, which was saved in a table...
    Last edited by gcjm; 2020-10-15 at 05:59.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Journey into the Cloud
Join us