Thread: Gaining an overall understanding

Gaining an overall understanding

Hi,
    I investigated Lianja about 8 years ago but decided against using it at the time. I am now considering it again but have forgotten a lot about the system. I have so far been unable to understand what products (Lianja App Builder, Lianja SQL Server, Lianja Cloud Server, Lianja Cloud, ISV subscription) I would need to achieve my goals.

I am looking to convert a VFP/SQL Server application to be able to initially run on the desktop locally within clients' businesses. When that is up and running I want to be able to offer a cloud based service where they can run the application from a hosted server of their own or a shared one that I provide for them. Eventually I would like to provide a mobile app that will give access to a subset of the system's functionality.

Is this a good approach?

I gather that I can use the App Builder for my initial phase of letting them run locally against their own MS SQL Server. Is that correct?

For the second phase, will I need to use Lianja SQL Server or Lianja Cloud Server or Lianja Cloud? Or can I still use MS SQL Server instead of Lianja SQL Server and I'll just need the Lianja Cloud Server/Lianja Cloud?

If my clients want to host the system on their own hosted service, will I need separate Lianja SQL Server/Lianja Cloud Server/Lianja Cloud licences for each client who wants to do this?

I found this on the Pricing page:

"If you are deploying an application to a customer we recommend that you purchase at least one developer license to install at a customer site so that you can perform Database Administration tasks when required on the customer server. Note also that User Roles and Permissions are performed using the App Builder."

So this means that my system cannot allow the users to configure their own Roles and Permissions from my application, I must go through the App Builder at their site in order to do this?

Also, even if they are using their own SQL Server I must use the App Builder to do database administration?

Thanks for any help clarifying these things for me.

Hi Fcazabon,

You will probably get different answers from different people. I can only speak for myself though.
    My application has many hundreds of SQL Server stored procedures with all of my business logic in those procs.

Lianja gives you many ways to accomplish the same tasks. For example, you can use the existing sqlconnect() to execute a stored SQL Server proc and result to a cursor.
    Or you can use the virtualTables that are built into Lianja. There are also Odata calls and other types of webservice calls.
    You can manage your application via the App Center, or you can just point your shortcut to open the app directly and manage it as you would you older foxpro app.
    If you are afraid of being boxed in, don't be. I have built Lianja apps both ways and both have their advantages.
    Meaning - if you follow the standard practices and build your app using the non-custom controls, that app should run on the desktop, web and mobile. If you want to build your items all by hand (which I like to do) - then you have to realize what will work on what platform.

Hope that helps.

Herb

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Hi Frank,

I have answered in red below.

I investigated Lianja about 8 years ago but decided against using it at the time. I am now considering it again but have forgotten a lot about the system. I have so far been unable to understand what products (Lianja App Builder, Lianja SQL Server, Lianja Cloud Server, Lianja Cloud, ISV subscription) I would need to achieve my goals.

I am looking to convert a VFP/SQL Server application to be able to initially run on the desktop locally within clients' businesses. When that is up and running I want to be able to offer a cloud based service where they can run the application from a hosted server of their own or a shared one that I provide for them. Eventually I would like to provide a mobile app that will give access to a subset of the system's functionality.

Is this a good approach?

There is no reason why you would not just build it as a Web app from the beginning and let your clients run the app(s) in a web browser.

I gather that I can use the App Builder for my initial phase of letting them run locally against their own MS SQL Server. Is that correct?

Yes.

For the second phase, will I need to use Lianja SQL Server or Lianja Cloud Server or Lianja Cloud? Or can I still use MS SQL Server instead of Lianja SQL Server and I'll just need the Lianja Cloud Server/Lianja Cloud?

You almost never need Lianja SQL server as it is embedded and included with Lianja Cloud Server.

If my clients want to host the system on their own hosted service, will I need separate Lianja SQL Server/Lianja Cloud Server/Lianja Cloud licences for each client who wants to do this?

You would need a Lianja Cloud Server to be installed on each of your clients servers. However, if you opt to become an ISV you have the right to distribute as many Cloud Servers with your application as you need.

I found this on the Pricing page:

"If you are deploying an application to a customer we recommend that you purchase at least one developer license to install at a customer site so that you can perform Database Administration tasks when required on the customer server. Note also that User Roles and Permissions are performed using the App Builder."

So this means that my system cannot allow the users to configure their own Roles and Permissions from my application, I must go through the App Builder at their site in order to do this?

That requirement is soon to change with Lianja 6 as it has a "Lianja Admin Console" all written in Lianja which includes (among other things) user management.

Also, even if they are using their own SQL Server I must use the App Builder to do database administration?

No. You can use MSSQL server management studio.

Thanks for any help clarifying these things for me.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Thanks Herb, that's helpful

Thanks Barry, see a follow up question below

Quote Originally Posted by barrymavin View Post

You would need a Lianja Cloud Server to be installed on each of your clients servers. However, if you opt to become an ISV you have the right to distribute as many Cloud Servers with your application as you need.

In the event that I have clients who do not want to host the system on their own server, does the Cloud Server then allow me to host the system for multiple clients or will I need separate licences for each client if it's on a shared server?

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Hi Frank

Yes you can host multiple clients on one server using tenancies.

alternatively, you can host them in Lianja hosted cloud when it is available later this year.
    Last edited by barrymavin; 2020-04-04 at 21:58.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Quote Originally Posted by barrymavin View Post
    Hi Frank

Yes you can host multiple clients on one server using tenancies.

alternatively, you can host them in Lianja hosted cloud when it is available later this year.
    Thanks Barry