Thread: Incredible Enhancements in V3.0 Roadmap

Lianja MVP

Incredible Enhancements in V3.0 Roadmap

If you haven't checked out the V3.0 roadmap, you might want to do so. Here are the enhancements that have me excited:

1) Integration with AWS (Amazon) -- do you know how (expletive deleted) hard it is to set up AWS right? Do you know how many resources you'll pay for when you aren't sharing them? Basically, it's a 3-year learning curve to do it on your own, and even then you'll run into challenges. There's no mention of pricing on the roadmap, but the concept for economies through sharing instances is there, so with a "share the wealth" pricing model, what you see will almost certainly be less than you would pay if you spent that 3 years learning enough to get it almost right.

2) (most likely) Monaco as the code editor. VSCode, which uses Monaco, has been getting rave reviews. JSDoc integration with Monaco (if it is used) will give us the ability to have our .prg (and other language) files represented in Intellisense, etc., with a first-rate editing experience.

3) Electron: takes your browser app and makes it into an EXE with no dependencies. Download and play, no install. With Electron, you can orient your app to be entirely mobile, and still get a desktop app. Which, of course, could be running on AWS. I don't know if Barry has this in mind to actually do, but an enhancement I've wanted (and ticketed) involves having multiple editor windows open on my multiple monitors. Electron would make this quite easy to do, as Monaco is all Javascript (via Typescript, which generates Javascript).

4) 'Enhanced "Form" section layout to provide a more compelling UI for Web/Mobile Apps using NoCode.' -- my understanding of this, in plain language, is that just about everything you want to design in an app will be doable in a Form section, and will be responsive. With the new UI in 2.1, and the metadata enhancements, this takes app development to a new level. This is huge, as this is the first step toward using all the other stuff above.

5) Git integration: this is also huge, because Source Control is your software bank vault. And proper Git integration will also organize your development effort. Sure, you could do it yourself (and it was on my list to do <s>), but now we'll have it done for us. Based on the track record, I'm guessing it will be configurable and able to be customized (by you, using the basic operation hooks provided) to your development style. E.g., do you use a separate QA branch? Do you rebase before merging? etc. -- and if you don't grok those questions, aren't you glad it's being done for you? <s>

There's other good stuff in 3.0 also. I just wanted to share the things that I think are huge. 2.1 was huge also, and because it developed a whole new perspective in Lianja (metadata), took a while to complete. Frankly: no one else has that perspective in their product. Some dance around it (decorators on types, etc.), but none embrace it. Lianja has embraced it, and as you will see in the coming weeks this has amazing implications for the efficiency and accuracy and maintenance (60% of development effort is maintenance) of the software you develop.

Exciting times!

Hank

I have to agree with you Hank.

I know some people can't get passed not having a generated exe file, so Electron integration is really compelling.

As of course, is intellisense and git.

My guess is that someone successfully cloned Barry

Lianja MVP
    My guess is that someone successfully cloned Barry
    I did suggest that multiple personality disorder might be useful. One could be working on figuring something out while the other is implementing what it had thought out.