Thread: Combobox for noob's

Combobox for noob's

Hello All,

I just finished all the tutorials and looked thru the wiki and doc's this week, so very new to Lianja. I'm trying it out and attempting to just use the GUI to see how far I get.

I created a simple database.
    Troops: troopID, number
    member: memberID, troopID, etc..

On a page in the App Builder, I created a Canvas section. In that section I added a Combobox.
    How do I get the Combobox to populate with the values of the Troops.number? I've scoured the forums and found one relevant entry saying I should place a selection in the Choice field (dated 2012). I've attempted various SQL select statements, field names, wild*** guesses, etc..

Then to get wild an crazy I'm trying to relate the next section to what is selected in the combobox.

Am I expecting to much from the App Builder?

Thanks!

Now of course the way things work in the world... Poof! it's now the combobox is working after I posted this.

In the Choices field I typed in
    select number from troops;

Had to close the app and re-open it.

When I get the relation working I'll post a reply on that for other noob's to see.

Hi Larry,

Welcome to the forums.
    I think most of us have experienced that.

Occasionally the app doesn't accept the change right away and needs to be re-loaded.
    Another way, instead of opening and closing Lianja, to refresh the app is to click the button at the top right that had a circle with two arrows.
    This will re-load the app without quitting Lianja. Make sure you save you work before clicking that button.

For the relationship, click the combobox once so that a black border surrounds the combobx and its caption.
    Next, press F5 to access the field attributes. Scroll down to the custom delegates section and look for Interactive change and click the button with the three ...

You will most likely have to write code to handle the difference options that appear in the combo box.
    I found that using relationships in canvas sections is trickier than using standard sections, such as form or grid.

Cory

Lianja MVP
    Hi Larry,

no need to close the app.

Save from the Dev toolbar; and then Refresh (the round circle with the 2 curved arrows). This latter will open the app as if it had been closed.

hth,

Hank

Lianja MVP
    Hi Larry

This will help you to remember UI elements of Lianja App Builder and to follow various instructions (click there, click that ). I know it was one of my first problem:

My advice is to backup apps folder and try changing demo apps and play with it first. If you screw it, copy it over.

Josip

Hi Larry,

Lianja also saves changes you make to your App, so if you find that you've broken something you can use the Versions Workspace to restore an earlier version of the App.