Thread: Peculiar Cursor movement in Grid

Peculiar Cursor movement in Grid

Difficult to describe but I’ll try

Created 3 records in a test grid. Added a form section to edit the details.Added a webview gadget to view/edit the memo field in the table. Related the grid to the other two sections

Wanted to watch the contents of the note field change as I navigated up and down the grid.
    Clicking on any record in the grid produced the result I expected. Using the up/down arrows didn’t.

Weirdly, I could see the focus shifting from line to line as I moved up or down, but that didn’t move the pointer in the table, so the form/webview content didn’t change.

Starting with the last record active, only when I reached the top of the grid did a further “Up” action cause the pointer to move up the table and show me the content of the second record. One more “Up” took it to first record. “Down” showed the focus moving back down from first to second record, but the table pointer didn’t change so I still couldn’t see the content of the 2nd record in either the form or webview/memo sections. Only when I got right to the bottom and continued pressing the down arrow, did the table pointer start moving in the same direction and I regained access to the content of the 2nd and 3rd record data.

This behaviour was consistent in both Development and Desktop App views.

What’s going on here and how do I fix it?

Hi Harry,

I'm not seeing this behavior. Can you submit a ticket (https://www.lianja.com/support/newticket). Please zip up and attach your appropriate App and Data directory so that we can run your app here. Thanks!

Greetings Dave

As you require the app & data to answer both this question and this one about Field defined defaults I've just zipped them up and created the ticket.

Thanks Harry,

As I mentioned on the ticket, the relationship was unnecessary - removing it solved the problem.

Dave, I haven't seen the ticket. Where does that appear?

In any case, removing the relations does NOT resolve the issue. I started with NO relations and had the problem behaviour. I then added relations to see if that made any difference and sent you that version. I have just removed the relations at my end. The behaviour does NOT change.

Aha!

Just tried it again. I was deliberately positioning my cursor in on of the check box columns. Do that and you'll see the offending behaviour. I was avoiding the first two columns because cursor entry immediately selected all the text and that is visually distracting when all you're trying to do is move up and down the grid. Also potentially dangerous as we can accidentally modify or delete the contents when it behaves like that.

However, when I do start within one of the two text columns, the behaviour goes back to what I would expect. So the strange behaviour seems to be limited to movement between records based on cursors in "logical" columns only.
    Last edited by HarryStottle; 2015-01-01 at 08:22.

Lianja MVP
    Hi Harry,

go to View My Tickets under the Tickets menu on the website.

Hank

thanks Hank

Hi Harry,

Thanks, I was able to reproduce the behavior with the logical column and submitted a new ticket under your name. You should be receiving emails as the tickets are updated, or, as Hank suggested, you can always go to the My Tickets link.

thanks Dave.