Thread: Can I hide the add ("+") icon of the Action bar or put some code behind it?

Can I hide the add ("+") icon of the Action bar or put some code behind it?

I have a grid that contains common filter commands my clients need. They can add their own to it and here lies the problem.

I want to have code validation run when they add a filter command since most of them don't have much of an idea of what they're doing. I'd like to either add the validation code (Try...Catch) to the add icon of the grid's action bar or hide it and create a command button on a canvas section for this purpose.

Can I do either one of these? Hide the "+" icon or add code behind it?

I guess last resort would be to hide the action bar and make command buttons for everything I need.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Lianja MVP
    Hi Steve,

take a look at at the Custom Footer Menu to add options to a section. Footer section (Custom Menu) with the code going in the Custom Footer Menu delegate, under Advanced.

hth,

Hank

Thanks Hank,

I'll check it out.

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi Hank,

Okay, I see that in the footer section I can add a custom menu which falls under the cog/gear icon.

If that was what you meant I think I prefer a custom menu on the section header since the options are more obvious to the user than the cog icon. If there is something else you were thinking of please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve

Lianja MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
    Hi Hank,

Okay, I see that in the footer section I can add a custom menu which falls under the cog/gear icon.

If that was what you meant I think I prefer a custom menu on the section header since the options are more obvious to the user than the cog icon. If there is something else you were thinking of please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Hi Steven,

to have the menu show as hyperlinks, prefix with ! as in !a,b,c

to have the menu show as buttons, prefix with # as in #a,b,c

hth,

Hank

Hi Steven,

Have you tried just calling your validation routine from the 'Validation' of the Grid column (double-click column header to access Attributes) where the users input the filter commands?

Use "{}" to pass the character value entered in the Grid column to your routine, e.g. valudf function in loaded script library or valudf.prg:

Validation: valudf("{}")

If the routine returns .F., the 'Validation error message' will be displayed and the column value will be blanked out (Add) or set to its previous value (Edit).

Regards,

Yvonne Milne

Hi Yvonne,

Hmmm, I hadn't thought of using the validation of the column. That's a good idea, I'll have to give it some serious thought.

Thanks!
    Steve

Hi Hank,

Dang it, now that you mention the "!" and "#", I vaguely remember reading it somewhere in the documentation. I'll give it a try, that is a nice UI feature.

Thanks!
    Steve

Lianja MVP
    Hi Steven,

that's why we (all of us) need the forum. There's no way most of us, me especially, can remember what we need in every situation on a new development platform. I do a lot of searching (hint: Google Search does a better job of searching the forum than the forum search, plus it includes other documents on the site). There are people who can encounter information once and then have it there when needed: most are not like that. In fact, I've always been terrible at that.

Eventually, though, it all gets integrated into the synapses. We had a saying in the early (90's) Fox days: "become One with The Fox." The same applies here. It takes time, takes doing, takes teaching others ("the best way to learn is to teach"), takes being reminded.

So, you're welcome, and thank you.

Hank