Thread: Is there a way to have the console be a part of an app?

Is there a way to have the console be a part of an app?

One of the apps I'd like to create in Lianja for our internal use is for data manipulation. Our daily work currently uses a bunch of Foxpro scripts to parse names and addresses, convert case, standardize and verify addresses, etc.

The scripts can't catch every variation of things that need to be fixed so after each script I enter various foxpro commands in the command window to browse/edit records to look for things that are missed. Then I can type commands to fix those odd cases.

If I can include the Lianja console in a data processing app that would be a great app for us.

Is that possible?

Lianja MVP
    Hi Steven,

If you are running it from your dev version, you will have the command console available. For users, you could implement the "command window" form (there are a couple of them) that is available for VFP. Ultimately you are execscript-ing the command line. You would do that with an inputbox(), bof that matter.

Hank

Quote Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
    One of the apps I'd like to create in Lianja for our internal use is for data manipulation. Our daily work currently uses a bunch of Foxpro scripts to parse names and addresses, convert case, standardize and verify addresses, etc.

The scripts can't catch every variation of things that need to be fixed so after each script I enter various foxpro commands in the command window to browse/edit records to look for things that are missed. Then I can type commands to fix those odd cases.

If I can include the Lianja console in a data processing app that would be a great app for us.

Is that possible?

Thanks Hankfay,

You mentioned there is a command window form that can be implemented. How do I find them and is the implementation different from the nocode stuff I've been doing so far?

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hi Steve

if you need to use a Console that won't work in a deployed runtime as compilation is disabled.

if you want to run simole Data manipulation commands that is probably ok.

you would need to create a form in code that sits on top of the App.

The console itself cannot be used in a runtime app.
    Last edited by barrymavin; 2014-12-01 at 02:34.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Okay thanks Barry,
    Steve

Lianja MVP
    Hi Steven,

Code:
    lc = inputbox()
    if !empty(lc)
       execscript(lc)
    endif
    Substitute a form that has an editbox in it for the input box and you can run multiline commands. You can wrap the result in a try...endtry to catch any errors.

Hank

Hi Hank,

Good suggestion and thanks for the example. That execscript() function is great and I would have struggled doing it some other way.

Aloha,
    Steve