PDA

View Full Version : Are local files (dbfs) converted to SQL files on the SQL Server when deploying?

jmonte407
2013-02-12, 09:38
I'm confused about the develop / Deploy stuff... Are we only working with dbfs while on the App Builder? I want to import data from our current apps into Liange... Will I be importing them into my App Builder or the SQL server... I want the data to end up in the SQL Server.... Also.. when I create a database and it's tables while in the app builder and I deploy.. wil it create the database and its tables in the SQL Server?

Thanks
Jim

lianjasupport
2013-02-12, 10:13
Hi Jim,

Lianja databases and tables are in exactly the same format whether used by the Lianja App Builder or the Lianja SQL Server and the Lianja App Center. The only difference is where the development product (Lianja App Builder) and the client/runtime/user products (Lianja SQL server and the Lianja App Center) have set as their default data directory. Any databases and tables you create in the Lianja App Builder, whether they are imported or created natively, can be deployed for use by the Lianja SQL Server or the Lianja App Center.

jmonte407
2013-02-12, 10:48
I clicked deploy... nothing went to the SQL Server... I went to Settings - Deploy ... am I supposed to have a conn string in the odbc field?

lianjasupport
2013-02-12, 11:12
This page explains how to Deploy your Lianja App, database and Library files to make them available to the Lianja App Center or Lianja SQL Server on the same machine: http://www.lianja.com/doc/index.php/Deploying_to_Local_Directory

jmonte407
2013-02-12, 11:26
Where is the "Deploy Work Surface"? I dont see it on my setup.. I even downloaded the latest RC3...

jmonte407
2013-02-12, 11:37
Never mind .... It worked... I re-installed everything.. and deploy did deploy to the SQL Server...

Thanks
Jim

jmonte407
2013-02-12, 12:13
Turns out... You must click the "Preview" first... which is confusing... Preview make one think "it's just viewing what I'm about to deploy" not "this is a step that must be done" before deploying...

barrymavin
2013-02-12, 19:46
Jim, it's a safety measure so you think about what you are about to do. The last thing you want is to overwrite live data. I'm also looking at improving this whole process so it automagically creates an upgrade script that will apply metadata changes and issue the corresponding alter table commands etc.

jmonte407
2013-02-15, 07:59
Yes.. I agree.. see whats about to be updated... On another note... Lets say I want to deploy a web app or smart device app... Using lots of javascript... Lianja SQL Server can output results in JSON... My question is .. from the browser to the IIS server.. what is going to process the requests? Do I still need asp.dll or aspx.dll or even West-Winds WC.dll? How is the mapping done? Does Lianja have some sort of server page? How is this done?

Thanks
Jim

barrymavin
2013-02-15, 08:08
Jim, you just build an app as normal using the standard sections. You use WebView sections to build WebViewWidgets (such as the editor or calendar have done) then it gets deployed.

The Lianja Cloud Server takes care of all of the hard work and handles all the data binding etc for CRUD database apps for you. All the database requests are done for you using ajax. Its all transparent to you. So just build an app, test it on the desktop, deploy it, setup your users and permissions/roles and you ready to go when Lianja Cloud Server ships which is quite soon.

You can use as much javascript as you want in you WebViewWidgets and Lianja includes jquery, bootstrap, knockout.js (which i personally like a lot) so you just reference them as a "library".

In fact the Lianja App Center is all written using HTML5/JavaScript using knockout.js and jquery.

jmonte407
2013-02-15, 08:47
Nice... but I wont be using the Cloud server... I'll be using the Lianja SQL server on my servers... So will I need to set up a REST process etc?

jmonte407
2013-02-15, 11:01
I never heard of knockout.js... just looked at it... I like it... I'm going to use it too..

jmonte407
2013-02-15, 12:57
The company I work for "including me" doesn't want our data residing in the Cloud... So when I deploy Apps can I deploy to our servers? using our Lianja SQL Server as backend....

HankFay
2013-02-15, 14:04
You can put the Cloud Server on your own servers. And what you use for a SQL Server is your choice. It all depends on what you want in terms of TCO and user experience.

1) don't mind the TCO of managing desktops, don't want remote access (without using Terminal Services/Citrix), you can deploy desktops, and hit the tables directly. Or you can hit any SQL Server of your choosing.

2) want low TCO, or want remote access: use the Cloud Server (which has Lianja SQL Server built in -- but you can hit any other server you can access through ODBC). This can reside on your server or wherever you want it. The desktop browser experience is identical to deploying the desktop. You also have the option of workers working from outside the office, again with the same desktop experience. Also you have the ability (given you stay with the recommended Lianja way of designing your app) of having users access apps using tablets and phones (you can control whether this is possible or not).

So it all depends on what you want.

Hank

The company I work for "including me" doesn't want our data residing in the Cloud... So when I deploy Apps can I deploy to our servers? using our Lianja SQL Server as backend....

barrymavin
2013-02-15, 17:58
Jim, Lianja Cloud Server has Lianja SQL Server built in. The Cloud Server also provides an OData compatible URI that can output JSON or XML.

It is for private as well as public cloud.

it also provides the Lianja / VFP scripting language in the form of .rsp pages (similar to .asp but you write in VFP).