PDA

View Full Version : Using with MAC

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 12:16
Will the Lianja SQL Server work on a MAC ?

If so what are the directory structures for it ?

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 12:44
It is currently only available for Windows. Linux will be made available soon. We do not plan to make it available on the Mac.

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 12:52
Does that mean that the image on

http://www.lianja.com/overview/lianja-overview

showing the mac talking to the Lianja SQL server via the LAN is wrong.

Does this mean that I cannot develop and test apps on my mac if they are using the Lianja SQL server ?

I really do not want to have to run a windows VM all the time to develop apps.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:02
No it just means we are not planning to make the Lianja SQL Server available on the Mac. OS X is mainly used as a client device.

We will at some stage make the Lianja ODBC Driver available on the Mac if there is a demand for it.

The diagram shows how you can use Windows, Mac and Linux clients against Lianja databases on a LAN. Thats correct as it stands.

FYI I use vmware fusion on the Mac and I run windows and linux inside virtual machines. My personal preference is to use linux as the server as it scales well and has good file system performance.

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 13:12
I'm running Parallels to get Windows VMs for vfp development on the MAC. Seems to work OK but I'd prefer to develop just on the MAC. I don't think I'll be able to in the long run though as Xcase does not run on the MAC and I will be using some of Hanks stuff for sure to link Xcase to Lianja for data modeling.

If I undersatnd it correctly then, I would install the Lianja SQL server on my Windows server and have the app running on the mac and that could talk to the Lianja SQL server on the Windows box, as per this image in the link ?

If that is correct can I develop like that as well ? Code on the MAC and hit the data on the windows server.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:15
That is correct once we make the ODBC driver available for the Mac.

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 13:23
So at this time if I develop an app to deploy on my local LAN and want to have the data stored on say my windows server only Windows and Linux boxes would be able to use the app ?

Does MAC work for Lianja cloud, I would assume so as it is web based ??

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:27
Yes. Lianja Cloud Apps are browser based.

You can share folders between the Mac and Windows or Linux. You don't need Lianja SQL Server for that.

Lianja SQL Server is for using Client/Server SQL between clients and a server that you install it on.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:29
If there is a demand we can make Lianja SQL Server available native on the Mac.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:31
David, Its all just a matter of prioritizing development.

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 13:32
OK so I think I understand it a little better now.

For say an application in my office I would have the data on a folder on the Windows server, and just share that and point the MAC and other machines apps to that folder for it's data. All using the standard Lianja Database engine and tables rather than using a Lianja SQL Server. In the same way that one woruld using a vfp app hitting a VFP databse and tables located on a shared folder ?

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 13:35
As you say the MAC is more a client machine. ODBC from it would be nice though.

I don't really see my ever installing the SQL server on a mac, I'd using a Linux or windows box for that, but it would be nice to be able to talk to it from a MAC as more and more end users are moving away from windows these days I feel and a lot are going to MACs. Most end users in my experience are very computer illiterate and they just want things to work. Having used Iphones they see the Apple Macs as a good choice of simple turn it on and it works type machines.

avianmanagement
2013-02-08, 13:37
David, Its all just a matter of prioritizing development.

Yes I see that and a MAC version of SQL server at this time is, must be, very low on the list. There are a lot more things I'd like to see before that.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 13:39
Yes exactly.

HankFay
2013-02-08, 23:38
Yes I see that and a MAC version of SQL server at this time is, must be, very low on the list. There are a lot more things I'd like to see before that.

Hi David,

the way I think of it is the parallel between developing to DBF's vs. SQL, which we've been doing for 10 years. The developers never see the SQL version until it appears on the test machine: they develop exclusively against DBF's. The build machine generates the new SQL DB, moves data (converting where needed) over to the new SQL DB, repoints the connections from the test machine to the new SQL DB, and when users log onto the test machine, that automatically pulls the new EXE and other files down for them.

Lianja is much the same way: develop with the data on your desktop, Deploy (using the Deploy worksurace) to the network location -- which could be for a LAN Connection, or could be the directories where the Lianja SQL Server resides. So long as you are moving to Lianja SQL Server, no conversion is required for the SQL statements, as the SQL Engine is the same code, I believe, as the App Builder (and App Runtime) SQL Engine. If you are hitting against another backend, you will need our magic that currently translates the view into, e.g., SQL Server T-SQL, for the same reasons as now.

So: create your data structure; use virtual tables to develop with "views" where you need to. Keep in mind that while you can USE a remote table and use it like a table, it will not come with indexes. Similarly with virtual tables. We'll probably set things up in metadata so you can specify a starting index; and probably "indirect" the SET ORDER so that if the index isn't there, it uses the metadata to create the index. Unless there's an easier way that's already in Lianja that we don't know about.

We'll wrap the USE command so that a database and connstr (if needed) can be used out of metadata to open the right table in the right place, based upon whatever businessrules are in effect. It's a great system: you USE a table, local or remote; it is opened in buffermode 3 (always); and you handle the complications with stored procedures that run on the server (or the clients in LAN mode).

Hank

avianmanagement
2013-02-09, 00:04
Hi Hank,

I'm starting to get my head around this stuff, slowly :).

I'm going to start to develop a real app with this later this month to test things out properly. If I do that will the PSP and Xcase2Lianja stuff when it is released be backwardly compatible, what I mean is can I apply it as one would with our current development environment with the current PSP stuff similar to class structure and update_vpm_psp to an already existing app

David