PDA

View Full Version : Architecture Lianja SQL Server

tabacaru
2013-02-08, 10:00
First of one I must say that my words are not critics to Lianja Team but only obsservation wich hope to help everyone in testing Lianja SQL database.
Just make a lot of test on Lianja SQL Server, allmost with VFP using ODBC. There are some problems and errors but the most important thing is that my expectation to use LIANJA like other SQL Server (POSTGRES;MySQL;MS-SQL;ORCALE; so on..) are negative. Not for errors (are normals this is a beta) but about the architecture; probably I don't understand very well the structure (DEPLOY and PRODUCTION). For example: expect that creating a table using FoxPro+ODBC, or LIANJA APP make the same result ; expect that insert data into a table using FoxPro+ODBC, or LIANJA APP make the same result; the result is not equal.
Be very usefull for all, to have a technical documentation wich can explain the architecture and structure of SQL server.
Thanks a lot

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 10:22
You have had this explained to you already in your tickets.

You DEVELOP apps using the App Builder

You DEPLOY the apps and data using the App Builder

There are two different directories; one for development and one for runtime.

When you install Lianja SQL Server it uses the "runtime" directory NOT the development directory. Why? because its a runtime component that does not assume that you have installed the App Builder.

When you use the Lianja ODBC Driver it connects to the Lianja SQL Server and accesses data in the runtime directory.

What you are trying to do is create tables in the development directory -- which you can't do as these will be created in the runtime (deployment directory).

Now if you question is "Can you enhance the ODBC driver so that I can tell it where the database directory is that I want to use"? then we can do that but FWIW it creates security issues as it would go against the whole concept of sandboxing data and apps in the cloud. Due to the fact that Lianja SQL Server is fully cloud enabled these type of decisions are not made without thinking them through and their security implications.

All of the other SQL products you mention have a HOME directory. Lianja SQL Server is no different.

The thing that you need to understand is that you develop your apps in a development folder structure then deploy the apps when you have tested them, not make changes to apps that users are possibly running live on your network.

Support have already documented this and provided you with the link at:
http://www.lianja.com/resources/blog/38-development-news/344-lianja-sql-server-wheres-the-data

That explains the directory structure quite clearly.

Now if you want to change where the SQL server HOME directory is, you can do that in the Lianja SQL Server Manager on windows (which you are using), then restart the server. Note that after you have done that, you will be using the development directories so don't expect the Lianja SQL Server to magically switch to using the runtime directories after you have deployed your apps.

tabacaru
2013-02-08, 10:36
The point wich I don't understand (underline: I don't understand) why I have two directories and not only one ? What is the purpose for this architecture ? How can it help me ? How can be helpfull for my project ? I want to use Lianja SQL Server both with Visual FoxPro and Lianja
Thanks

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 10:36
I've already explained above.

barrymavin
2013-02-08, 10:38
"Now if you want to change where the SQL server HOME directory is, you can do that in the Lianja SQL Server Manager on windows (which you are using), then restart the server. Note that after you have done that, you will be using the development directories so don't expect the Lianja SQL Server to magically switch to using the runtime directories after you have deployed your apps."

tabacaru
2013-02-08, 10:44
Ok thanks