PDA

View Full Version : VFP application rewrite

peter
2013-02-05, 05:05
We now have a classic VFP EXE with a menu bar , sub menu's and toolbars.
Every menu-item calls a different form (let's say about 150 forms)

What would be the Lianja approach ?
Is it possible to have all those forms in ONE app with pages & sections ? if so, what about the loading/rendering time ?

Any idea would be much appreciated. Wouldn't like to make a mistake if we are going to rebuild this from scratch.

barrymavin
2013-02-05, 07:21
Peter, You should break the "Application" down into smaller "Apps" where you encapsulate the logic by functionality.

Loading one huge monolithic app is not a good idea and I would not recommend it.

You can "categorize" the "Apps" so they are grouped together by functionality in the App Center as well.

K!k3
2013-04-16, 16:55
But, can I generate a .exe file? (like as VFP) :confused: :confused: :confused:

K!k3
2013-04-16, 17:00
And... for MAC OS is a .dmg, can I generate it? (and .bin for Linux) Thanks very much :o :o :o :o

yvonne.milne
2013-04-17, 05:29
The Lianja App Packager will be included in the next Release Candidate version (RC5.4). You can read about the App Packager in the Roadmap (http://www.lianja.com/resources/roadmap), or in this Forum thread (http://www.lianja.com/community/showthread.php?1076-App-packager-coming-soon).

K!k3
2013-07-24, 16:43
How run my application; the clients ask me a program, generally is a exe file. How execute the app?

Thanks

Victor Navarro
Barranquilla, COLOMBIA
ICQ 279 364 380
Face: +573008102508 (http://www.facebook.com/victorenrique.navarrohoyos)
MSN: eres_un_vago@hotmail.com
Mail: eres_un_vago@yahoo.es (mailto:eres_un_vago@yahoo.es)
Whatsapp: +573008102508

barrymavin
2013-07-24, 20:27
Please don't cross post the same question across different threads.

see this thread.
http://www.lianja.com/community/showthread.php?1429-Import-entire-VFP-Project-How-do-it

CGibson
2013-07-25, 10:40
Peter, You should break the "Application" down into smaller "Apps" where you encapsulate the logic by functionality.

Loading one huge monolithic app is not a good idea and I would not recommend it.

You can "categorize" the "Apps" so they are grouped together by functionality in the App Center as well.

Barry,
When would you consider an app to be too big and when should it be decided to split it into several smaller apps?
Essentially, how big is too big?

barrymavin
2013-07-25, 23:08
Hi Cory,

When designing/developing an "application" break it down into functional components. Let's now call these functional components (or modules if you like) an "App". Group the Apps together by functional category e.g. Finance, Admin, Sales in the App Settings dialog attributes.

These categories will then be automatically displayed in the App Center as grouped tiles with a caption above them (You can publish or unpublish apps for the app center in the app settings dialog).

Then break each "App" down into UI pages; break the pages down into Sections as you visualize how your data is organized and related.

After that the "Navigation" menu provides you with a common way for end users navigating between the pages of your app. There is no need to compile and build to see how it all looks as everything is live -- just switch to runtime mode. This is a major productivity gain, not having to wait for compiles and builds -- the beauty of dynamic scripting languages.

So now you would have a multi-tier way of navigating the UI of your "Application" -- which is comprised of discrete "Apps" serving a particular purpose. The Lianja App Center is now the focal point for end users running Apps that they have permission to run -- and that's all about roles and permissions, which controls the apps made available to a user, and controls the operations that can be performed on the pages, sections and fields/gadgets of the App is all configurable (Attributes dialogs at the bottom) without having to change any code in your App (once you have assigned roles to your app, pages, sections and fields).

When working in development teams, each team member can be assigned the Apps that they will develop and maintain. Someone else can be assigned to UI page library components.

You can install git version control which is available for Windows, Mac and LInux -- and its free; get an account with github to store your code and data in a private repository and hey presto you now can all work on the "Application" together as a team and git manages distributed version control for you.