PDA

View Full Version : Using the Command Window CLI

barrymavin
2019-10-29, 18:49
If you are a keyboard warrior you can bypass the need to use the GUI to perform a lot of common operations.
https://www.lianja.com/doc/index.php/Category:Command_Window_CLI

hmischel@diligentsystems.com
2019-10-29, 19:34
Hi Barry,

I love the command window and use it all the time.
I think I have generated most of my scripts with
Modi comm <myfilename>

is Ed the equivalent?

also - when I need to clean up files on my machine, I just open the lianja command window, issue a 'cd' to the directory I want and run the scripts there. It is so darn convenient.

Ever thought of have a stand-alone command window "hint hint" :)

Herb

barrymavin
2019-10-29, 19:47
Hi Herb,

Yes “ed” is just a synonym for “modify command”.

HankFay
2019-10-30, 14:55
Ever thought of have a stand-alone command window "hint hint" :)

Hi Herb,

Your wish has already been fulfilled. :)

Hank

2019-11-07, 17:33
Hi Hank,

I have been traveling a lot lately, so just catching up on older posts.

I meant from a command line without starting the Lianja Application. Something like the python command-line interpreter.

It's something I would love, but probably not worth diverting Barry's attention :(

Herb

HankFay
2019-11-07, 17:46
Hi Herb,

I created a desktop Command app (named: El Commando) to distribute with the one desktop production app we have. I haven't improved it much, so it's one line at a time, with | dividers so multiple commands can be entered on one line.

use myDatabase!myTable excl | pack | use

is a frequent action. If there's an error the user is notified and the sequence of commands is exited.

The same could be done with a Web app, for that matter.

Other than that scenario, I don't see an advantage of a Python-type CLI. Of course I work with 3 monitors, but doesn't everybody? :)

Hank

2019-11-08, 09:24
Hi Hank,

I do a ton of file manipulations - which is atypical for most database applications.
Sometimes I need to rename thousands of files, create directories, re-order files. move some based on names etc.
LIanja has made this very easy, but there are times I don't need to be inside my lianja application.

Not something that is super important, its just that Barry has spoiled me with so many goodies over the years...
:)

Herb