PDA

View Full Version : Datepicker and Datetextbox: Difference between DeskTopView and WebAppView

gcjm
2015-11-25, 07:04
I use App Builder Version 1.5 with Win.
My AppBuilder's "Language locale" in "Settings/Web/Mobile App Configuration" is set to "de German".

I programmed 2 sections: The 1st one is in js and contains Datetextboxes ("fromDate", "toDate") and the 2nd one is a WebView written in "VFP".
Section1 transfers fromDate.text and toDate.text to section2 as parameters where they are used for several actions.

My Problem:
The DatePickers of "fromDate", "toDate" in section1 (I actually do not need)
- In DeskTopView, they provide the right German date format (f.e. 25.11.2015). This is fine for displaying in the Datetextboxes and as parameter for section2.
- But in the WebAppView, the Datepickers provide the "international" (?) format (f.e. 2015-11-25).

First: Nobody (except programmers) uses this format in Germany!
Second: The calculations in section2 are wrong (ok I could transform the parameters to German format in section2)

How to get a German Datepicker for WebAppView or how to switch off it?
Or have I to use simple Textboxes preformated with " . . " to insert the date?

By the way: Has version 2.0 a better solution?

Thanks Georg

barrymavin
2015-11-25, 23:39
I have already answered this question many times before but nevertheless I will answer again.

A Web or Mobile App can be used by anyone all around the world. The server that remote clients are connected to can be in a different timezone with different date formats.

The ISO standard for displaying dates is described here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

The ISO standard Is used by Lianja to display a date or datetime so as to be locale independent. It is nothing to do with being a programmer or not. Its an international standard. Not english, not french, not german, but rather an international standard.

If you absolutely must have german specific dates displayed then submit an enhancement request and it will be considered in a future release which you will receive if you have an active subscription. The popup calendar can already be customized by language in the App Settings attributes.

You can download a 30-day trial for Lianja v2.0 and see for yourself what has been added to it. There will be no changes made to v1.5. All development is being done on the v2.0 codebase.

gcjm
2015-11-26, 01:35
Sorry, barrymavin, I can't follow your argumentation.

1) My users did always demand "country-specific date format" (locale)
ge: dd.mm.yyyy
us: mm/dd/yyyy
etc.

2) Imagine pls, I prepare a project in DeskTopView and it runs ok.
Switching to WebAppView the option "locale = de" is no longer valid and the program does not work properly because the date ISO format is used.

Which option I have to set that DeskTopView and WebAppView are working in the same way?

I thank you again (on Thanksgiving (today) !
Georg

barrymavin
2015-11-26, 01:45
Georg,

please re-read by previous reply. I think I explained why we use ISO standard dates. I also said...

If you absolutely must have german specific dates displayed then submit an enhancement request and it will be considered in a future release which you will receive if you have an active subscription. The popup calendar can already be customized by language in the App Settings attributes.

So... That's how you get the dates displayed the way you want it. It will require having a modification made to the web framework to format dates specific to a locale and map them back to ISO when we send data to perform an update on the server.

gcjm
2015-11-27, 02:29
Hi Barry,

thank you again and let me finish this discussion...

My biggest date problem is not the use of the ISO format.
Anyway, international norms are the better way (f.e. see miles/kilometres or pounds/kilogram)

Yet (as I wrote)

- I develop date program parts in DeskTopView with the option "language locale = DE" and - uups - if I switch to the WebAppView, automatically the ISO is used and so my date program parts are "wrong"

- The date picker (appears by clicking a date field) should be appear optionally. I don't need this picker in most cases because the user is faster typeing the dates (or copy&past) in big forms with a lot of different personal dates.

Conclusion: I'm using now canvas TextBoxes for the input. See (unready) example here:
http://showtime2.no-ip.info:81/apps/thomas_sauer_ausgabe/index.html

Bye
Georg