PDA

View Full Version : How to run an app in a browser - localhost

cyrilbaskir
2014-02-19, 21:59
What do I need to install to try out an app in a browser? I haven't used localhost before - do I need to install something to get it to work?

I have the developer edition.

I opened the app Lianja Web UI Demo in Web App view, and saved it. I see it created this file:
C:/Lianja/cloudserver/tenants/public/wwwroot/apps/example_webapp2/index.html

How do I get that file to run?

Do I need to download and install Lianja Cloud Server?

Cyril

barrymavin
2014-02-19, 22:41
Hi Cyril,

Yes download and install Lianja Cloud Server then point your browser at:
http://localhost/apps/example_webapp2/index.html

This whole process has been simplified a lot in v1.1 with "Web App View", "Tablet App View" and "Phone App View".

You APaaS license that you were emailed will enable Lianja App Builder, Lianja SQL Server and Lianja Cloud Server.

yvonne.milne
2014-02-20, 07:17
Hi Cyril,

And please watch the video (http://www.lianja.com/community/showthread.php?1851-Video-Getting-Started-building-Apps-for-Lianja-Cloud-Server-and-Lianja-Web-Client). Make the most of it - it will be out-of-date as soon as the new v1.1 Views arrive :rolleyes:

Regards,

Yvonne

cyrilbaskir
2014-02-20, 19:01
Excellent - its good to see the app running in a browser!

Could you give a heads up on what one should do to make an application web UI suitable?
For example, I see that the app Lianja Web UI Demo runs beautifully, whereas running the Lianjademo in a browser doesn't work well (shows some errors).

BTW the Order Detail doesn't scroll in the Web UI Demo in Firefox, so you cannot see any Order Details.

Cyril

HankFay
2014-02-20, 19:13
Hi Cyril,

in page attributes, select the Stretch Last Section attribute, so you can see the second section.

hth,

Hank

barrymavin
2014-02-20, 21:11
The Web/Tablet example Apps are built using Lianja best practices. We are preparing an online training course which will cover this. Features and functionality that are currently implemented are detailed on the roadmap.

That just looks like your screen resolution is not high enough. Run the example_webapp (Tablet Web UI Demo).

v1.1 (free upgrade to v1.0 users) has much more functionality and improvements.

cyrilbaskir
2014-02-20, 21:28
in page attributes, select the Stretch Last Section attribute, so you can see the second section.

Hi Hank

Thanks for the idea. I see it is already selected in the sample app.

cyrilbaskir
2014-02-20, 21:53
The Web/Tablet example Apps are built using Lianja best practices. We are preparing an online training course which will cover this. Features and functionality that are currently implemented are detailed on the roadmap.

That just looks like your screen resolution is not high enough. Run the example_webapp (Tablet Web UI Demo).

v1.1 (free upgrade to v1.0 users) has much more functionality and improvements.

Hi Barry

I had 1680 x 1050. Changed the screen resolution to 1920 x 1200 and yes I see the order details now.

I notice when one makes the browser window smaller the Order Details section disappears, whereas the Order section just gets cut off. Is this (responsive?) behavior governed by a setting?

I look forward to more info on writing apps for the web.

Back now to 1680 x 1050 :cool:

Cyril

barrymavin
2014-02-20, 22:04
If you are targeting small device resolutions then use accordion sections which the example_webapp does.

If you are targeting tablets or phones you would have some small apps that are different that desktop browser apps.

As I mentioned there is more coming in v1.1 which I am finalizing at the moment. It has a lot more functionality for tablets and phones.

I will continue to develop against the roadmap and release features and functionality on a regular basis.

barrymavin
2014-02-20, 22:06
That example turns off the scrollbar and fits the whole page into the browser viewport. Yes its responsive within the viewport as can be seen when you maximize and normalize. We will provide more examples in due course.

barrymavin
2014-02-20, 22:17
To give you an idea of what is included in v1.1 see the screenshot below which has the "Tablet App View" open. You now have "Views" for "Web", "Tablet" and "Phone" with integrated debugger.

Clicking the "Preview" icon deploys to your local cloud server and runs it in default desktop browser.

cyrilbaskir
2014-02-20, 23:57
That implies that the one app will be able to be used in any environment: Web, Tablet, etc. Good!

My understanding is, to achieve that, one should not use Canvas. Is that correct?

Cyril

barrymavin
2014-02-20, 23:57
Hi Cyril,

I have attached a screenshot showing how the responsive UI is rendered in Web, Tablet and Phone App Views. This functionality is available in v1.1 which is a free upgrade to v1.0.

barrymavin
2014-02-21, 00:05
Just for the present time. I am implementing the VFP framework in JavaScript and full canvas support will be available as detailed on the roadmap.