PDA

View Full Version : Lianja App Builder: Lose the label

yvonne.milne
2013-05-01, 11:24
Don't like labels on your Fields? Want to know how to lose the label (Caption) but still be able to access the Field Attributes?

The Field Attribute 'Caption position' allows you to choose 'None', so that the Field appears without a label. Great, but how do you access the Field Attributes if there is no Caption to double-click on? With the introduction of the App Inspector, you can now open the Field Attributes for a Field without a Caption by double-clicking on its name in the App Inspector Pages tree.

desarrollojm
2013-05-01, 21:29
Don't like labels on your Fields? Want to know how to lose the label (Caption) but still be able to access the Field Attributes?

The Field Attribute 'Caption position' allows you to choose 'None', so that the Field appears without a label. Great, but how do you access the Field Attributes if there is no Caption to double-click on? With the introduction of the App Inspector, you can now open the Field Attributes for a Field without a Caption by double-clicking on its name in the App Inspector Pages tree.

I check the steps to get to the field properties. The cursor could be over the field you want to modify his properties but the App Inspector display from the very beginning and you have to scroll down to find the field you want to modify his properties. That's a strange way to allow for modifications of properties. In a visual environment you would expect to allow for property modifications by clicking the mouse right button or left button (with the cursor over the field) and selecting "Properties" from a popup menu.

barrymavin
2013-05-01, 23:05
Just double click the caption. What is being described here is when you have chosen to not display a caption.

HankFay
2013-05-01, 23:53
I check the steps to get to the field properties. The cursor could be over the field you want to modify his properties but the App Inspector display from the very beginning and you have to scroll down to find the field you want to modify his properties. That's a strange way to allow for modifications of properties. In a visual environment you would expect to allow for property modifications by clicking the mouse right button or left button (with the cursor over the field) and selecting "Properties" from a popup menu.

Quite so, in the sense that new things are, by definition, strange. That's part of the difficulty in breaking the mold -- and thankfully Lianja is breaking the mold, in order to help us move our expertise from the oldy and moldy into the future.

Fortunately, software developers, at least the ones who survive in the field for very long, are necessarily good at learning. You should have been around when we went from FoxPro DOS/Win to Visual FoxPro! Everything was strange! Now, of course, it seems just like an old slipper: showing its age, but very comfortable. The same will happen with Lianja: I've been working with it for over a year, and it no longer seems strange. There are parts in which I would like to see improvements (just as VFP was improved over the first few versions), and given Lianja's record of taking developer ER's, thinking them through, and implementing the ones that make sense, I'm confident this will happen.

So: stick with it, use it a lot, and the strangeness will go away. It's a natural reaction. Hint: look at whether the functionality you need is there. In this case it is, so the only real issue is that it's different than your expectations.

hth,

Hank