Thread: Support for Compression, Encryption, FTP, HTTP

Support for Compression, Encryption, FTP, HTTP

Hi

I would like to suggest that support be added for Compression (files and strings), FTP, SFTP, FTPS, Encryption (files and strings), HTTP Get/Post. Craig Boyd (www.sweetpotatosoftware.com) created some very useful FLLs for compression , http and encryption for VFP and perhaps he would be willing to share his code if asked.

I currently use all of these things in my VFP applications to access such things as Amazon MWS and other 3rd party services.

Thanks,
    Simon

Lianja Support Team lianjasupport's Avatar
    HTTP Get/Post is fully supported please see the roadmap release notes.

What sort of encryption are you referring to as there are many different types?

FTP is possible at a later date.

SFTP requires SSL which would be more problematic cross platform.

On Windows you always use ActiveX (as you know).

Currently I use Hash with MD5 and HMAC with SHA256 for Amazon web services as described here: http://www.sweetpotatosoftware.com/s...ionUpdate.aspx

I also have a client that receives encrypted files using PGP so I am using Kleopatra/GnuPG to decrypt and encrypt this data so it can be imported into their VFP application.

For FTPS and SFTP I am using the http://lftp.yar.ru/desc.html because Windows as you know does not support secure ftp.

Lianja Support Team lianjasupport's Avatar
    Have you looked at the MD5() and MD5FILE() functions in lianja?

Hi Simon,

as Craigs stuff often is in C/C++, I'd suggest you either look for corresponding libs in Python or PHP land -
    should be plenty and better/easier to integrate in Lianja or wait for the C-API promised and give it a whirl then.

IMO there is enough work with vfp-compatibility before stretching developer resources
    for tasks that Craig developed to correspond to the packages found in other languages.

regards

thomas

I am quite open to alternate solutions and quite agree that the dev. resources are quite busy. However, it does not hurt to ask and give the developer's of lianja a better understanding of the needs and thus help them decide on how to better design Lianja to enable future enhancements.

I started to look at hosting other tools even in vfp a bit earlier - directly hosting java was bad try,
    but with COM you can add a lot from java and python standard functionality.
    So the hinting at Python capabilities came easy on this one for me ;-)
    You might look into Hammonds book on Python on Win32, a bit dated,
    but gives you the key to COM servers offering python functionality to use in vfp as well -
    most can be found online. O'Reilly with the Alligator/Crocodile whatever on the front ;-)