Thread: [Answers] Section

Lianja MVP

[Answers] Section

Q:
    Is it possible to have a collapsible section start off collapsed?
    I have several sections on a page and a few of them would only be occasionally used. So, it would be nice to have the page start with them collapsed so the other sections can be more visible.
    A:
    In the "Ready" delegate for the page you can collapse the sections.

Code:
    Lianja.get("customers.section2").collapse()

Added a new section attribute "Apply rules on parent data change". This causes the UI presentation rules to be evaluated dynamically as you navigate data in the parent section.
    You can therefore
    hide/show other related sections based on the data that is being displayed in the parent section.
    Note that when the UI presentation rules are applied the "Visible When" and "Readonly When" conditions are evaluated. This is only
    effective in runtime mode.

Visible when" and "Readonly when" are evaluated when you
    Code:
    Lianja.get("page.section").applyRules()
    This happens automatically if you have set the section attribute "Apply rules on change" in the "UI Presentation Rules".
    This will then cause the UI to hide and show elements dynamically depending on the data being currently viewed.

Q:
    It is possible to display a grid within a canvas section?
    I don't want the grid in a separate section, I want it included with the section being used to potentially display basic or related information.
    Here's what I'm thinking:
    - Add a label
    - Add a combobox
    - Display values in a grid based on the selected combobox value. Data would possibly come a a virtual table.
    Using Southwind as an example (albeit not the best example):
    label: Expenses
    combobox values: Monthly Expenses (as label) and values (choices) could be individual months
    grid: display the orders for the selected month
    A:
    A page can be arranged out of numerous sections that can have the section header hidden at runtime. So the page acts and appears as one section although it has been visually designed out of many.
    Sections can be grouped together (there is an example demo App showing how to achieve this) so they expand and collapse as one section.

There are various examples of this. The Custom Canvas Demo example App uses a TreeGrid.

SQL with {...} macros is used to relate the sections.

In v1.2.2 there is a new section attribute "Where condition" that can be used to requery() Virtual Tables dynamically. This is a SQL SELECT WHERE condition for your target SQL database.
    It can be set dynamically:
    Code:
    Lianja.get("page1.section1").where = "account > 1000 and empid = '0001'"
    or
    Code:
    Lianja.showDocument("page: page1.section1?action=where&text=account gt 1000 and empid eq '0001'"
    (notice how I have specified the where condition above in OData format).
    So If you are working with large amounts of data create your VT as SELECT... WHERE 1=0
    Then change the "where condition" dynamically in your App ready delegate.

Q:
    So then it wouldn't matter if it was a foxpro or JavaScript section since the requery is at the section level and not at the cursor adaptor or recordset level.
    A:
    Yes thats correct. It only works against VTs as internally it issues a requery() for the VT. The cursoradaptor for the VT knows what section it is bound too so when the requery() completes the section is automatically refreshed.
    Also remember that the "where condition" operates just like requery() method on the Virtual Table so it can also contain ORDER BY ... LIMIT etc.
    So it replaces everything after the WHERE in the Virtual Table definition.
    This makes paging of data and changing order much easier.

Q:
    I am trying to create a new record whenever the section is loaded. I am trying to do this with the init/ready delegate with the following code:

Code:
    Lianja.showDocument("page:gCreateTasks.section:section1?action=add");
    A:
    That syntax looks wrong, try it in the JavaScript console.
    Code:
    page: page1.section1?action=add

​All topics in [Answers] alphabetically:http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-01-18 at 03:14.

Lianja MVP
    Q:
    two Form sections. The first had Columns added by dragging the entire table from the Tables list.
    The second had them
    added individually by dragging them from the Column Names list.
    Why does the former get navigation controls added automatically and the second does not? How do I add them to the second?
    A:
    Just save and reload the App and it will pick up that the section is data-bound and show the navigation in the Section header.

(?A):
    it is possible to change both the database and table for a section, even if it's grayed out.
    For a form/grid/webview etc. section named mysection, use the console and issue:
    Code:
    lianja.get("mysection").database = "mynewdatabase"
    Next: save the app and refresh it. You will see the new database name has been saved. Similary for the table (or anything else).

Q:
    I have a project and successfully deployed it on LAN. But on the client PC not all fields are seen on the canvas section due to the small monitor screen. So the solution I have in mind is to put a scroll bar on the canvas section. Is that possible to put a scroll bar on canvas section when the monitor is too small to view all the fields on canvas?
    A:
    A canvas section is non responsive as you have discovered. A canvas section cannot be scrollable.
    The
    page containing the canvas section can be scrollable so play about with that setting in the page attributes.

​All topics in [Answers] alphabetically:http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-01-18 at 03:07.

Lianja MVP
    Use the section.requery() method OR set the section.sql property - not both, e.g.

// section.requery()
    // Specify everything after the WHERE (apologies if I misled you on this syntax previously)
    Code:
    Lianja.get("page1.section2").requery([userid='{Lianja.get("page1.section1.field1").text}'] )
    OR
    // section.sql
    // Specify the full SQL statement
    Code:
    Lianja.get("page1.section2").sql = [select * from <basetable> where userid='{Lianja.get("page1.section1.field1").text}']
    If your current App is failing to load, use the Versions workspace to restore an earlier version of your prg or open the prg in an external editor and comment out the lines (//) of your section.ready() event delegate.

Q:
    How to add objects to a custom section
    A:
    Code:
    define class page1_section1 as section
    enddefine
    define class contTopStatusBar as container
            layout = "vertical"
            fixedheight = 40
            backcolor = "white"
            add object buttonTest as commandbutton

enddefine

proc page1_section1 
            page1_section1 = createobject("page1_section1")
            page1_section1.addobject("cont1", "contTopStatusBar")
            cont1.buttontest.caption = "Hello"
            page1_section1.addobject("cont2", "contTopStatusBar")
            cont2.buttontest.caption = "World"
    return page1_section1

define class herbButton as commandbutton
    proc click()
    Lianja.showMessage("Button was clicked")
    endproc 

enddefine

define class contTopStatusBar as container
    layout = "vertical"
    fixedheight = 40
    backcolor = "white"
    add object buttontest as herbButton

enddefine

proc page1_section1 
    page1_section1 = createobject("page1_section1")

page1_section1.addobject("cont1", "contTopStatusBar")
    cont1.buttontest.caption = "Hello"
    page1_section1.addobject("cont2", "contTopStatusBar")
    cont2.buttontest.caption = "World"

return page1_section1

Q:
    The finished app has a section on the left hand side with such things as favourites, recently viewed which you can hide by clicking on the word hide. Is there any way of removing that whole section ? Also is it possible to remove the navigation buttons from the bottom of the page which relate to the customer records at the top ?
    A:
    Yes - that's called the Left Sidebar. Look in the Page Attributes (cog icon or double-click on header) and in the Left Sidebar sub-section uncheck 'Show left sidebar'.
    In the Page Attributes 'Appearance' sub-section you will find 'Hide actionbar' - check that to remove the navigation buttons.

Q:
    How do use hwnd to get the id for a section, or a gadget?
    A:
    In LianjaDemo, from the console:
    Code:
    lo = lianja.get("customers")
    ? lo.hwnd
    Better to create a custom section, add a container that auto sizes into the section and use its hwnd. Why? Because it excludes the area occupied by the header, header menu and footer menu.

Q:
    1. Adding the canvas and grid sections to my page works just fine but I cannot add a button to the canvas, the commented -out code just doesn't work - am I doing something wrong?
    2. Running this code as-is in the app builder (ie. forget the button part), I see the new sections but if I try to add any gadgets manually to the canvas (from the 'Advanced' menu option at the bottom of the app builder) then the IDE crashes (with the "lianja.exe has stopped working" message).

Code:
    proc page1_section2_field2_click()

//Get a reference to the page
            page = Lianja.getElementByID("page1")

//Add a canvas section to the page
            page.AddSection("custCanvas", "canvas")
            canvasSection = Lianja.getElementByID("page1.custCanvas")
            canvasSection.caption = "New Canvas"

//Add a button to the canvas
            /*NOT WORKING
            canvasSection.AddObject("myButton", "commandbutton")
            btn = Lianja.getElementByID("page1.custCanvas.myButton")
            btn.move(20,20,100,50)
            */

//Add a grid section to the page
            page.AddSection("custGrid", "grid")
            gridSection = Lianja.getElementByID("page1.custGrid")
            gridSection.caption = "New Grid"

endproc
    A:
    You cannot create canvas sections dynamically using addobject().
    Canvas sections are designed visually.
    Custom sections are created dynamically

'Enhanced "Form" section layout to provide a more compelling UI for Web/Mobile Apps using NoCode.' -- my understanding of this, in plain language, is that just about everything you want to design in an app will be doable in a Form section, and will be responsive.
    With the new UI in 2.1, and the metadata enhancements, this takes app development to a new level. This is huge, as this is the first step toward using all the other stuff above.

Q:
    On a canvas section I'm trying to insert some custom buttons mainly for navigation and basic actions. I've tried several ways but with no luck.
    On exemple, for a "move to next record" button in a desktop app what I'm doing is to create a new page(page1), a new canvas section (section1), drop in some record fields, and then I insert a command button, typing in the Default action field of the control:
    Code:
    section:section1?action=next
    When I click it, it seems that nothing happens, or almost the fields are not refreshing. How can I use the "default actions" in a button in the canvas section?
    A:
    If you put the code in the Click event delegate for your button that will work.

JavaScript:
    Code:
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
    // Event delegate for 'click' event
    function page1_section1_field1_click()
    {
            showdocument("section:section1?action=next");
    };
    VFP (remember to use JavaScript if you want to run in the Lianja Web Client)

Code:
    proc page1_section1_field1_click()
            showdocument("section:section1?action=next")endproc
    A2:
    It seems like you added a canvas section and then added some textfields, and some buttons.
    I am using the southwind database in my example.

1. Drag the fields from the table you want onto the canvas from table itself. I have selected the 'example' table

2. Add your buttons.
    3. In the button that you want to use to move the records forward, add the following code. On my section, I named them txtNext and txtPrior (not case sensitive in VFP).

Here is the code from click events.

Code:
    proc page1_section1_txtPrior_click()
    select example
    if not bof()
    skip -1
    Lianja.get("page1.section1").refresh
    else
    wait window " You are on the first record"
    endif
    endproc

proc page1_section1_txtNext_click()
    select example
    if not eof()
    skip 1
    Lianja.get("page1.section1").refresh
    else
    wait window " You are on the last record"
    endif
    endproc

Q:
    when one would use the standard sections and when or why the custom?
    A:
    That's a tough one to answer, because I think it's based on personal preferences. Although there are some things like custom grid section menus, that have to be done via custom code (meaning create container -> add objects etc..).

The other differences to me boils down to 2 things.
    1. Re-using custom classes.
    2. Layout management

In a custom sections, you can re-use classes that you have saved in the library. I Know that version 3.1 will have a visual Component builder, but that is still in the pipeline.

Custom sections can resize themselves based on how you specify the layout.
    Canvas sections are not naturally responsive -but you can resize them via code. That can be tough if you have many objects.

I don't know which one I use more though, I think it also depends on what I am doing.
    You really cant go wrong with either one.

This is a quick intro to using custom VFP sections in Lianja.
    https://youtu.be/22KwE857M24

Hide a section at runtime

Here is an explanation of dilema standard-custom-canvas:

As you know there are a lot of pre-built sections and I always recommend that you look into using these standard sections as your first choice rather than coding.

The question you really have to answer first is "Where do I want these Apps I build to run"?

If you are targeting desktop only then I would say go ahead and use whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you build your apps out of the standard sections then it will pretty much run straight off in the cloud too.
    These built-in sections have been chosen due to the fact that they are common high level building blocks that you can visually build your Apps out of.
    Its a sort of lego for cross-UI database apps.
    The standard sections that I would recommend you using the most (if at all possible) are; Form, Grid, Report, Chart, WebView, Calendar, Attachment, ImageStrip, and TabView.
    There are obvious tradeoffs that you have to make if you want your apps to be desktop, web and mobile -- and after all, thats what Lianja is all about -- apart from the cross platform nature of it; Windows, Mac and Linux.

"Custom sections" are code centric.
    They can be developed in the Visual FoxPro compatible scripting, PHP, Python or JavaScript -- whatever you are comfortable with in fact.
    Canvas sections do not have the same level of functionality as you have in the page builder when you are visually designing pages out of forms, grids and webviews.
    You have to basically "paint" them yourself -- hence the name "Canvas".
    It is important to understand that just because it is not immediately apparent how to do something in standard sections not to assume that the standard sections can't do it.
    I don't see building apps using standard sections without coding as being for beginners.
    The idea is that domain knowledge developers should be able to build an App with minimal coding.

You can move fields around in form sections and separate them into columns using dividers.

To build a composite form you would use two sections one above the other and "Hide the section headers".

You can change values in other fields as data is entered now.

You can build form sections into horizontal columns using the dividers i mention above to separate the form off into columns.

...you have "rules" that control "Visibility" and "Readonly" that are evaluated as data is displayed and entered in the form so the form can re-arrange itself.

...the section footer can contain hyperlinks that can be clicked and change the "State" in which the form is in. This can hide/show certain fields.
    When working with Canvas, think Container: the Container moves controls around the same way as Form sections.

You can designate a Canvas section to be displayed only for desktop and web (big tablets); and have an alternate Form section that you designate only for Mobile (phones, small tablets). That's controlled by section by the checkboxes at the bottom of the Section attributes.

Q:
    how to hide/show a single element in a section?
    I understand how to hide pages and sections. For some reason, I cannot find a reference to it hiding and showing a single element. I am trying to hide a textbox upon data change of another textbox.

Code:
    proc Generate_line_detail_stkno_changed()
    quantity.hide
    getlineitemfrompricelist()
    endproc
    A:
    Try this:
    Code:
    // Event delegate for 'changed' event
    proc page1_section1_field1_changed()
        quantity=Lianja.get("quantity")
        quantity.hide
    endproc
    In App inspector you can see your quantity field is fully qualified as:

page: page1.section1.quantity
    or in your case, I suppose:
    page: Generate_line.detail.quantity
    To apply "hide", you need to reference this field object by Lianja.get(...), not by name only.

Shorten way:

Code:
    // Event delegate for 'changed' event
    proc page1_section1_field1_changed()
        Lianja.get("quantity").hide
    endproc

Q:
    I want a section initially hidden upon system start up. Where should I place this code?

Code:
    showdocument("section:section1?action=hide")
    I tried to place it in the ready delegate of the section itself and in the ready delegate of the page where the section is located but got the same behavior the section was not hidden upon the system start up.
    Also, I tried to place the same code on the click delegate of the cancel button and the section was hidden upon clicking the cancel button.
    A:
    I put your code
    Code:
    showdocument("section:section1?action=hide")
    in page's ready delegate of lianja_mobiledemo, and deployed it.
    After that, in App Center the Section1 is not showing at start. As expected.

In development views in Lianja App Builder it is showing.
    These are only development (pre)views and they can not 100% replace real runtime environment.
    If they could, then we would not need Page Center on development machine.

​All topics in [Answers] alphabetically:http://www.lianja.com/community/showthread.php?2717-Answers
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2017-01-18 at 03:07.

Good morning,
    sorry if I'm wrong conversation, but I want to know how to set up an OptionGroup with more options. I dont' find the ButtonCount property or Value property.
    Can I perform this by code too?

thanks

Hi paolopi2
    see this picture
    Name:  2017-01-18 13_37_25-Lianja App Builder v3.2.0 [z_bert] - UTF-8 - Licensed to Soft up Soluzioni i.png
Views: 412
Size:  12.0 KB

ciao
    Fabio

Lianja MVP
    Q:
    I have a page with only one canvas section. The section height is 755.
    In webapp view/ and browser preview, i gets truncated and there is no vertical scroll bar.

A:
    The Page scrollbar is only available in the desktop client. If you split the controls between 2 canvas sections you can expand/collapse the sections as required or use 'accordion behavior' to handle it automatically.
    https://www.lianja.com/doc/index.php/Accordion_Behavior

You need to decide will you use Standard sections, Custom sections or Canvas sections.
    Canvas is free style. There you can play with containers and stack stuff horizontally as you wish. con: No responsive.
    Custom is by code. Define class, define class...
    Standard has integrated CRUD and less freedom but less work.
    In web pages you see 3 column design mostly.
    Lianja has left sidebar, right sidebar, and the center is occupied by section.

Q:
    I have a CommandButton on a Canvas section. There are no other sections on the page. The page has Stretch Last Section = True.
    I want the CommandButton to be anchored to the bottom right corner and I want it's size to remain constant.
    I have set Anchor=12 (which is what I would have used in VFP). This results in it being anchored to the bottom right corner, but the size changes based on the size of the page.

A:
    You can layout your controls in the resize delegate.
    Look at the code in the example_canvaslayoutjs app.
    The resize delegate is in javascript but the logic is the same in VFP.

if you open a file explorer window you can drag an image file onto a section to make it the background for the section. The image will automatically be copied into your App directory and set as the background image.

Q:
    How do I stack sections horizontally? Say I have a grid on the left side and I want a form on the right side.

A:
    You can layout a form section horizontally using a grid gadget and/or adding dividers.

Q:
    How do I change the background colour of the section?

A:
    look in lib:/pagecenter/pagecenter.rsp at line 16. You can customize the background.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: https://www.lianja.com/community/sho...ll=1#post13748

These answers are also systematized on the site "Lianja developer": https://lianjadeveloper.wordpress.com/category/section/