Thread: [Answers] Deployment-2

Lianja MVP

[Answers] Deployment-2

Q:
    I understand I don't have to compile the app, but how can my client run the application?
    A:
    Your clients run the Lianja App Center (or Lianja Web or Mobile Client for Lianja Cloud).

Your Apps are packaged up using 'Build package' in the Deploy Workspace - you need to add the database, App files and any required Library files.

You will also be able to 'Build installer' in the Deploy Workspace to install the App Center and packages

The runtime reads from the \lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public directory so deploy first then build your installer from those directories.

Q:
    I'm confused about the develop / Deploy stuff... Are we only working with dbfs while on the App Builder? I want to import data from our current apps into Liange... Will I be importing them into my App Builder or the SQL server... I want the data to end up in the SQL Server.... Also.. when I create a database and it's tables while in the app builder and I deploy.. wil it create the database and its tables in the SQL Server?
    A:
    Lianja databases and tables are in exactly the same format whether used by the Lianja App Builder or the Lianja SQL Server and the Lianja App Center. The only difference is where the development product (Lianja App Builder) and the client/runtime/user products (Lianja SQL server and the Lianja App Center) have set as their default data directory. Any databases and tables you create in the Lianja App Builder, whether they are imported or created natively, can be deployed for use by the Lianja SQL Server or the Lianja App Center.

The quickest way to test your app deployment is actually deploy it through the deploy workspace then just edit the desktop shortcut for the Lianja App Center to add the --app switch. That's how you would fire your app up after creating an installer and deploying to your customers.

You would create a desktop shortcut with your own icon and run the lianjaruntime (with various switches e.g --app xxx --splashscreen xxx etc) which is the royalty free runtime distribution.

Just to make you all aware that there is a licensing API built into Lianja for use by ISVs.
    Once you start selling your Apps you can license them based on a license key that you request from us for a particular customer.
    The API is quite straightforward as it just uses some internal SYS() functions to check that your applications are licensed and if not to be able to activate them.
    The licensing also handles trial licenses. We will be building this facility into the Lianja Hosted Cloud also for ISV use.
    If you have not considered an ISV subscription you may want to think about it as it will not only save you money in distributing your Apps but it will also help you better monetize them based on licensing.

Many of the modern browsers support multiple tabs and the have a lot of extra functionality that you may sometimes not want when running an "Information kiosk".
    To allow you to deploy your Lianja Web Apps in "kiosk" mode in v1.2.2 you can now but a desktop shortcut like this:
    Code:
    C:\lianja\bin\lianja.exe http://localhost:8001/login.rsp --fullscreen
    or to run an App directly without logging in:
    Alternatively you can run these when the machine boots up if you are deploying Information Kiosks on the factory floor to operate in unattended boot mode.
    This will keep the users captive in the browser with no window title or ability to exit the "Information kiosk".

You build an installer which is a .exe file that installs everything the user needs to run your App(s).
    Lianja is for desktop, web and mobile. There is no concept of an "exe" in the web.

You cannot build an "exe" for desktop that will run without any data or other supporting files that Lianja needs.

make sure you are deploying to the correct runtime directory.

just deploy on your development machine into the runtime directory then test in the app center.

Q:
    I've deployed a test app to LCS, but am not seeing the index.html.
    example_webapp comes up ok. And my files did get deployed (used the copy method, as it's all on my desktop/notebook). But there is no index.html to point to.
    A:
    When you "Save" an App from the 'Pages" workspace, if you have checked off "Desktop", "Web", "Tablet", or "Phone" in the app settings then the following files will be generated and placed in the required location.
    index.html
    tablet_index.html
    phone_index.html
    You can first of all try and run it by opening up a "Web App View" then clicking "Preview". That will save the App generating the code and run it in the default desktop browser.
    Your HTML5/JavaScript Apps will be located relative to the apps directory in the Cloud Server settings.
    On windows the default is:
    C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\wwwroot\apps\
    So if you have an app called "hank" the file will be in:
    C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\wwwroot\apps\ hank\index.html
    So in the browser you can type this in the address bar of the browser:
    The index.html file is always saved when you save an app and you have "Web" checked in the app settings.
    the app files are copied when you save.
    the library files are not so you may need to deploy them if you are using some custom ones.
    your data will need deployed; this is shared by desktop runtime, web, tablet and phone.
    There is a new icon in the header of the library and apps workspace that allows you to save an edited file and deploy it.

The Lianja runtime will only run compiled code.
    The compiler is only enabled in the App Builder -- development mode, as that is the licensed product.
    This is to prevent piracy.
    Lianja is runtime royalty free desktop distribution but requires the apps to be compiled within the App Builder.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    This same topic is extended to another thread: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...s-Deployment-1
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-10-24 at 03:23.

Lianja MVP
    Q:
    I have the app builder trial on my mac and am trying to deploy a desktop app to a couple of people on the network but am failing miserably.
    The app is built and works fine and I've gotten the other guys to download and install the app centre but am unsure how to deploy to them. I tried creating a folder on the shared drive, which they have pointed to as the app folder during installation of App Centre but when they go to run app centre they get a blank screen without the user name and password text boxes. One of them got the text boxes after reinstalling and presumably pointing to the another folder as the app folder but it looked like it was unable to find it's css file as the formatting was awful and the "login" link did nothing.
    Also, which files should I deploy with the app? DO I need to deploy any system tables or files so that the formatting of the app looks correct or is that all copied to the deployment folder automatically?
    A:
    Setup.exe and building windows installers is not relevant to deploying on macs.
    The default deployment location for Lianja desktop Apps on WIndows is to the sub-folders of 'C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\'.
    Apps - C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\apps\
    Data - C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\data\
    Library files - C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\library

For an alternative runtimedir (set during Installation, Command Switch or LIANJA_RUNTIMEDIR environment variable), the same folder structure needs to be in place drive:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\...
    The drive:\lianja\cloudserver\appcenter sub-folder and its files are also required. It contains the Lianja App Center Home screen/login pages.
    If possible, install the App Center distribution on the deployment target then the folder structure and appcenter login files will be in place.
    If you have set up users and roles for your App, then you need to deploy your system database as well as the database for your App.
    Apps need to have their 'Published' setting set to True or they will not appear in the App Center.

Q:
    By deploying I still get the message "Redistribution file LianjaAppCenter 1.5 Windows cannot be found, download it and place it in c:\Lianja\redist."
    A:
    You need to download the distribution for the Lianja App Center. Do not install it, just place the downloaded distribution in your redist directory, then you can build installers that include the Lianja App Center distribution.

Just before an App is loaded if any of the following files exist in the app directory they are executed just before the app itself is loaded.

setup.prg (app builder)
    setup.dbo (app center runtime)
    setup.js
    setup.php
    setup.py
    The init delegate is then executed

The app UI is then loaded.

Followed by other delegates in this order for the App, the pages, the sections of each page and the fields and gadgets of the sections.

load delegates
    ready delegates

Q:
    when an App Center already exists, and I may not want to update it to the version we're using in development, using an LPK would be, well, quick and easy
    A:
    I'm afraid not. To install an lpk file you need the app builder installed.
    it probably isn't a bad idea if lianjaruntime.exe can take a few new command line arguments.
    --install name.lpk
    --upgrade name.lpk
    Submit an ER.

Q:
    A deployment problem. I select the database and click on Preview Changes, then I get "You must specify a remote server". The only field to enter any server information is disabled.
    A:
    The default settings for deployment are in the App Settings. If the Publisher is set to Copy, localhost is assumed and the Server is blank. For SFTP a Server is required.

If you create a new Deployment Settings profile as described here, you can edit the individual Deployment Settings to your requirements in the Deploy workspace itself (the example shown is deploying to a share point).

Q:
    I followed these steps to generate an executable:
    1. Select "Deploy"
    2. Double click the "template" installer at the top left of the tree.
    3. Click the build button.
    4. Wait and watch.
    5. Copy c: \ lianja \ installers \ template \ template-setup.exe to another machine.
    6. Install it. This will install all the demo Apps. Customize it for whatever you want to install.
    But then install and run correctly, run the lianjaruntime.exe and not my application appears Am I avoiding something? (All this I am doing the same PC where I am developing) ... Can I send my App to "Lianja App Center" without building an .exe from my development environment?
    A:
    To run on the same PC, an installer is not necessary. Publish & Deploy

In addition, do not install the independent Lianja App Centre in the development team.

Your App is working as you expect in the Lianja App Builder, but after you deploy it and click on its tile in the Lianja App Center nothing happens.

Check whether you have set the Dynamic contents App Setting to True.

If Dynamic contents is True, the App does not open, it is used as a Tile to display dynamic contents. Have a look at the 3 examples included in the distribution.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    This same topic is extended to another thread: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...s-Deployment-1
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-10-24 at 03:22.