Thread: [Answers] Cloud Server-2

Lianja MVP

[Answers] Cloud Server-2

Q:
    Whats the difference between "Lianja Sql Server" and "Cloud Server"?.. Cloud server contains "Lianja SQL Server".. Does it have something to do with "Deploy"? Also.. Is there a routine in the App Builder to Import dbfs into "Lianja Sql Server"?
    Is the "Cloud" located on my Server? I dont want to deploy anywhere outside my network.. I just downloaded and installed it.. I'll play around with it..
    Just deployed a database I created.. it appears to just copy the DBFs to C:\Lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\data\rstock and not to "Lianja SQL Server..
    I already wrote a routine to manually put database/tables in the SQL Server from VFP9..via ODBC driver... just thought The App Builder would do it also
    A:
    Lianja Cloud Server is a complete App Server which has support for serving Web and Mobile Apps into a browser. It has Lianja SQL Server embedded in it so it also provides both ODBC and OData Data access.
    The "Deploy" workspace in the App Builder provides the ability to deploy databases and Web/mobile Apps into the Cloud Server. This is in the "Data" workspace.
    you can import dbfs into the App Builder then deploy them to the Cloud Server. The Cloud Server runs on either windows or Linux.
    Lianja SQL Server only provides ODBC Data access.

Lianja Cloud Server is the server for Cloud/Web Apps running in the Lianja Web/Mobile client, OData and WebSocket Services and Dynamic Page Services (rsp/jssp pages). Lianja SQL Server is the server for third party clients using the Lianja ODBC Driver to access Lianja data. When you purchase the Lianja Cloud Server, you also get the Lianja SQL Server too.
    This article in the Wiki explains how to deploy Lianja data for Lianja SQL Server access. Additional Wiki documentation for Lianja Cloud Server and Lianja SQL Server can be found here.

Q:
    I see that there are "Foxpro server pages" and also "JavaScript Server Pages" <-- is this NodeJs?
    A:
    The jssp JavaScript Server Pages embed the V8 JavaScript engine as used by Node.js.
    javascript server pages (.jssp pages) use the same JavaScript engine as node.js (Google v8 engine). It is embedded in the cloud server (cross platform). To better handle server side page requests it uses synchronous calls not async. You can also call VFP code directly from server side JavaScript.
    So if you want you can have data centric JavaScript frontend and backend.
    yvonne can point you to example server side pages in both LianjaVFP and JavaScript.
    Wiki Code Examples

Lianja SQL Server does not handle OData calls. These are handled by the Cloud Server.
    You don't need to use virtual tables in the Cloud Server. All the SQL is generated and executed dynamically by the OData parser engine.

1. The Lianja Cloud Server is an app server. This is detailed at:
    http://www.lianja.com/resources/blog...a-cloud-server
    It is a web server, database server and dynamic page server combined.
    It can operate on its own without apache or IIS or (available soon as per the roadmap) it can just be used as an extension to apache (module) or IIS (ISAPI plugin). All these extensions do is let it be installed as a "handler" for certain page request extensions and OData calls. Other than that it works in the same way as how .asp .php or .py server side pages work.
    The subtle differences from just handling dynamic pages is that it has embedded within it the Lianja/VFP data centric scripting language which includes Lianja/SQL (Lianja/VFP dynamic server pages), JavaScript (.jssp) Server pages, and OData API using standard URL calls. You basically have the Lianja/VFP scripting language and database engine to use to dynamically generate HTML5/JavaScript pages.

2. The Lianja Cloud Server listens on both port 80 and port 8001 (by default) after installation. This allows you to develop Web Apps as "standard Lianja Apps", view then alongside your development view "click the Web App View icon in the page header to see how it looks in a browser". Try running the "example_webapp" or "example_webapp2" apps in chrome on your desktop and you will see what can be achieved with NoCode. Type http://localhost/apps/example_webapp/index.html into the Chrome address bar (IE11 is supported in the next v1.0.1 build). You can run the "Lianja Server Manager" from the control panel and disable port 80, then restart the service and it will not interfere with your existing IIS port usage. You would then always postfix :8001 to the URL hostname when making requests. After we make the ISAPI plugin available for IIS then requests for .rsp pages, .jssp pages, OData requests, and Lianja Web App requests will automatically be routed to the Lianja Cloud Server.

3. Our implementation of .jssp pages (and .rsp pages for that matter) are very similar to .asp and .php pages (all the PHP _request[] array etc) is made available to the dynamic page). The V8 JavaScript engine has been integrated in with Lianja/VFP. The structure of javascript server pages (.jssp files) have the same functionality (plus more) of .asp and PHP pages. You can call VFP procedures and evaluate VFP expressions from inside the javascript code of your dynamic page or you can use plain javascript -- whatever you prefer.

4. Node.js typically is not used with apache or IIS. Typically this is at a much lower level whereby you create worker threads in javascript by accepting URL requests and route then to your javascript handler code. IMO Async "everything" does not fit in well with client side database apps that make a request to a server side URL that will return some HTML/JavaScript that is then injected into a dynamic area to the web page DataView that the user is currently interacting with. A web browser dispatches async (ajax) HTTP requests that are sent to an IP, inspected and routed to the actually producer of the dynamic HTML/JavaScript code. The browser then reads the response from the remote web server. There are timeouts on ajax requests (these are browser dependent) and if the server does not respond in a certain timeframe then the request fails.
    If your are comparing Lianja Cloud Server with node.js then really they are two different things altogether. If you want to write in JavaScript on the backend, they both allow that. Both use the google V8 JavaScript engine in different ways. Node.js is all async operation which as i've mentioned is problematic for database oriented web apps. Lianja Cloud Server runs javascript code synchronous so that it can generate dynamic HTML5/JavaScript in a meaningful order so that the browser receives it in a properly structured HTML5 document format. You can for example open a database, create a "recordset" using a Lianja SQL query and then iterate over the data generating HTML5/javascript dynamically. The "introduction to Lianja Cloud Server describes how to accomplish this". If this is all async on the server side you get into "callback hell". Synchronous is much simpler to code for this purpose.
    Another important distinction between node.js and Lianja Cloud Server is that the Lianja Cloud Server has complete javascript dynamic page processing support built-in. This is an important distinction between the two. So, a .jssp page is structured like an .asp or .php page, which has HTML5 and dynamic code execution all handled for you using the familiar code tags (and quite a few more such as codebehind).

5. You mention that you want to process millions of records and generate huge reports from a web request. What happens to the huge report when the job completes? Is this emailed or what? Obviously you would not want to display a 10000 page report in a web browser tab. If you want to handle background work on the server then Lianja Cloud Server has support for "background services" that can be written in Lianja/VFP. If you open up the "Lianja Server Manager" from the control panel you can see how these are setup. There is an example in the distro. The way these are typically used is through a "work queue table". So your web request page handler adds a "job" (inserts a record) to your work queue table. Your background task looks at this periodically and if there are any requests it handles them and iterates this process until all jobs have completed. Obviously your "Report job scheduler" can spawn background processes to handle individual jobs. These can then email the user or notify them in some other way when the report job has completed.
    On linux you would use "cron jobs" that do the same thing as described above.
    I hope that provides a better understanding of what Lianja Cloud Server is and how it is used to serve Lianja Web and Mobile Apps, dynamic HTML5 page content, and handle third party data requests using OData.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    This same topic is extended to another thread: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...Cloud-Server-1
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-10-24 at 03:16.

Lianja MVP
    Q:
    I have set up an EC2 Windows Virtual Server instance on Amazon, opened port 8001 and installed Lianja Cloud Server. I deployed the app in the Web App View which generated the index.html file. I then copied the C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\wwwroot\apps\ myappfolder folder to the EC2 server and the database to C:\lianja\cloudserver\tenants\public\data.
    When I try to run the app from a browser http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8001/apps/myappfolder/index.htm or http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8001/login.rsp I get the “This page can’t be displayed” error. How do I run the app from a browser or tablet?
    A:
    If you are using a desktop browser and you have enabled the app with guest access in the app settings then your URL is correct.
    you need to make sure that the firewall is allowing access to port 8001.
    Right click on the browser page and look for errors in the JavaScript console.
    if your app works in your dev machine and you have deployed the app, library files and data it should be working on a remote server.

Check the permissions in the files that you uploaded.

Lianja Cloud Server can generate JSON directly from OData also without the need to write any server-side code or rsp pages. The $format=jsonarray argument was added in v2.0. Here is an example of querying a table in a database and fetching the results as a JSON array.

Q:
    I have installed as a trial Cloud Server on a Windows server and a Linux Server.
    I can enter the IP address in my local browser and I get the Lianja App Center Login.
    I now want to deploy the Lianja Tablet Web UI Demo and the Lianja Web UI Demo to these 2 servers. I suspect I would also need to deploy database.
    Couple questions:
    1. Is there any way to know exactly what pieces should be selected when I am in the Deploy process? For example, which libraries, etc are needed?
    2. What is the proper sequence of steps to generate everything and then get it to the Cloud Server?

A:
    The answer is to use projects. When you select a project in the deploy workspace. It will check off all the files in the project and deploy them.
    So create a project and add the files to the project. You can add multiple apps too so they all get deployed.
    The only library files you need to deploy are custom ones you have written yourself. Normally all files specific to an app are in the app directory and will be copied automatically when you deploy.
    Custom library files that you share across multiple apps should be in the library workspace and should be added to your project.
    Yes you need to deploy your database.
    I normally develop then deploy to my local cloud server for testing. This I treat as my staging and testing server.
    When I'm ready to put on a remote server I choose the project and upload using the built-in sftp support.

All topics in [Answers] alphabetically: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...ll=1#post12352
    This same topic is extended to another thread: http://www.lianja.com/community/show...Cloud-Server-1
    Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-10-24 at 03:16.

Lianja MVP
    Lianja Cloud Server is a very functional and scaleable means of performing CRUD operations on data in any type of database.

If you build Web and/or Mobile Apps using Lianja best practices (Pages, Sections, Fields and Gadgets) all of the heavy lifting for adding, updating, deleting and querying data is done for you. Lianja uses JSON extensively for this purpose.

There can be no doubt that JSON is the modern and most commonly used data interchange format for Web and Mobile apps.

Lianja Cloud Server has built in support for OData. This provides a wide range of data formats that can output based on a very simple and easy REST API.

For the purposes of these examples I will be using the OData_Read() function from the Lianja App Builder console but the same REST URI can be types into the browser address bar (Google Chrome recommended as it does not prompt you to download the results of the query). If you are typing these REST URIs into the browser address bar prefix /odata/ to them.

In the following examples I have added $top=1 to select only the first record. OData handles a wide range of parameters such as $filter, $orderby etc.

Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=json&$top=1")
    Code:
    {"d" : {
            "results": [
                    {"customerid":"ALFKI","contactname":"Maria Anders","companyname":"Alfreds Futterkiste","contacttitle":"Sales Representative","address":"21 State Street","region":"East","city":"Boston","postalcode":"01943","country":"USA","phone":"617-342-8976","fax":"617-567-9876","notes":"<p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p>"}
            ],
            "__database": "southwind",
            "__table": "customers",
            "__primarykey": "",
            "__tabletype": "table",
            "__datatypes": "CCCCCCCCCCCM",
            "__href": "/odata/southwind/customers?$format=json&$top=1",
            "__querytime": "18ms",
            "__count": 91,
            "__page": 1
    }}
    Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=jsongrid&$top=1")
    Code:
    {
            "rows": [
                    {"customerid":"ALFKI","contactname":"Maria Anders","companyname":"Alfreds Futterkiste","contacttitle":"Sales Representative","address":"21 State Street","region":"East","city":"Boston","postalcode":"01943","country":"USA","phone":"617-342-8976","fax":"617-567-9876","notes":"<p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p>","__rowid":1}
            ],
            "database": "southwind",
            "table": "customers",
            "__tabletype": "table",
            "__primarykey": "",
            "__datatypes": "CCCCCCCCCCCMN",
            "__href": "/odata/southwind/customers?$format=jsongrid&$top=1",
            "__querytime": "13ms",
            "total": 91,
            "page": 1
    }
    Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=jsonarray&$top=1")
    Code:
    [
            {"customerid":"ALFKI","contactname":"Maria Anders","companyname":"Alfreds Futterkiste","contacttitle":"Sales Representative","address":"21 State Street","region":"East","city":"Boston","postalcode":"01943","country":"USA","phone":"617-342-8976","fax":"617-567-9876","notes":"<p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p>"}
    ]
    Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=excel&$top=1")
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <?mso-application progid="Excel.Sheet"?>
    <Workbook 
       xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
       xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
       xmlns:x="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:excel"
       xmlns:ss="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:spreadsheet"
       xmlns:html="http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40">
       <Worksheet ss:Name="Sheet1">
    <ss:Table ss:ExpandedColumnCount="12" ss:ExpandedRowCount="92" x:FullColumns="1" x:FullRows="1" ss:DefaultRowHeight="15">
    <Row>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">CUSTOMERID</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">CONTACTNAME</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">COMPANYNAME</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">CONTACTTITLE</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">ADDRESS</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">REGION</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">CITY</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">POSTALCODE</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">COUNTRY</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">PHONE</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">FAX</Data></Cell>
    <Cell><Data ss:Type="String">NOTES</Data></Cell>
    </Row><ss:Row><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">ALFKI</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">Maria Anders</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">Alfreds Futterkiste</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">Sales Representative</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">21 State Street</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">East</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">Boston</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">01943</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">USA</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">617-342-8976</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String">617-567-9876</ss:Data></ss:Cell><ss:Cell><ss:Data ss:Type="String"><p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p></ss:Data></ss:Cell></ss:Row>
    </ss:Table>
    </ss:Worksheet>
    </ss:Workbook>
    Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=ado&$top=1")
    Code:
    <xml xmlns:s="uuid:BDC6E3F0-6DA3-11d1-A2A3-00AA00C14882"
         xmlns:dt="uuid:C2F41010-65B3-11d1-A29F-00AA00C14882"
         xmlns:rs="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:rowset"
         xmlns:z="#RowsetSchema">
      <s:Schema id='RowsetSchema'>
        <s:ElementType name='row' content='eltOnly' rs:updatable='true'>
          <s:AttributeType name='CUSTOMERID' rs:number='1' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='CUSTOMERID'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='string' rs:dbtype='str'  dt:maxLength='5' rs:fixedlength='true' />
          </s:AttributeType>
          <s:AttributeType name='CONTACTNAME' rs:number='2' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='CONTACTNAME'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='string' rs:dbtype='str'  dt:maxLength='30' rs:fixedlength='true' />
          <s:AttributeType name='COMPANYNAME' rs:number='3' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='COMPANYNAME'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='string' rs:dbtype='str'  dt:maxLength='40' rs:fixedlength='true' />
          <s:AttributeType name='CONTACTTITLE' rs:number='4' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='CONTACTTITLE'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='string' rs:dbtype='str'  dt:maxLength='30' rs:fixedlength='true' />
    ... truncated
          <s:AttributeType name='FAX' rs:number='11' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='FAX'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='string' rs:dbtype='str'  dt:maxLength='24' rs:fixedlength='true' />
          <s:AttributeType name='NOTES' rs:number='12' rs:nullable='true' rs:write='true' rs:basetable='_ODATA' rs:basecolumn='NOTES'>
          <s:datatype dt:type='Memo' rs:dbtype='Memo'  dt:maxLength='8' rs:fixedlength='true' />
        </s:ElementType>
      </s:Schema>
      <rs:data>
       <z:row   CUSTOMERID = 'ALFKI'  CONTACTNAME = 'Maria Anders'  COMPANYNAME = 'Alfreds Futterkiste'  CONTACTTITLE = 'Sales Representative'  ADDRESS = '21 State Street'  REGION = 'East'  CITY = 'Boston'  POSTALCODE = '01943'  COUNTRY = 'USA'  PHONE = '617-342-8976'  FAX = '617-567-9876'  NOTES = '<p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p>'   />
     </rs:data>
    </xml>
    Code:
    odata_read("/southwind/customers?$format=csv&$top=1")
    Code:
    "customerid","contactname","companyname","contacttitle","address","region","city","postalcode","country","phone","fax","notes"
    "ALFKI","Maria Anders","Alfreds Futterkiste","Sales Representative","21 State Street","East","Boston","01943","USA","617-342-8976","617-567-9876","<p>The last time this customer was contacted she was going on vacation.</p>"
    all built-in. Nothing to write, just reference the REST URIs and the data will be returned in the format you requested.

The odata REST API works against any type of database.

The examples I gave are just for querying but the cloud server handles full CRUD through the REST API. I will be posting examples of how to perform inserts, updates and deletes also.

The Lianja Cloud Server is not solely for use by Lianja Web and Mobile Apps. It can be used to serve up OData data, web services (written in Lianja/VFP or JavaScript) and dynamic HTML5/JavaScript using Lianja/VFP Server Pages (.rsp pages) and/or JavaScript Server Pages (.jssp pages). So it can be used as a web/mobile application server for other web development tools and even .net / Java if required.

Last edited by josipradnik; 2016-10-24 at 03:15.