Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Data source independent connections in coming in RC5.3

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Data source independent connections in coming in RC5.3

In Lianja App Builder RC5.3 i've introduced "local" as a "known" connection to provide the ability to work with data locally then switch to server connections at runtime.

sqlConnect("local")
    and create VirtualTable myvtable connstr "local" can now be specified to work on local Lianja SQL cursors.

The connection string (or ODBC DSN) can also contain {macro} so that the connection can be switched programmatically without making any code changes.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Lianja MVP
    From the "what does this mean for developers" dept.: this means we can develop in the app builder, without deploying to Lianja SQL Server (LSql), in the exact same way that we will be deploying to LSql (or MS SQL or whatever), but without having to move data to LSql or wherever during development.

In this scenario, you might create a public variable in the App INIT (in App Settings, the cog on the bottom left of the app builder) holding the connection string (or multiples if you are going to have multiple backends), and then define the Virtualtable like so:

create virtualtable myDB!myvt connstr '{m.myconnstr}' as select * from mytable where myfield = '{m.myfieldval}' order by myotherfield

Change the value of m.myconnstr, open the view, and you're hitting against a different backend.

Notice the use of macro-substitution rather than parameters: this helps protect against sql injection attacks, and yet is completely transparent while developing.

BTW: have you ever wanted to change a view so it could query against, e.g., a different relation, i.e., a different Foreign Key value? In case you missed it, you can do that also:

use myDB!myVT in 0
    loCA = cursoradapter("myVT")

At that point, you can change the SelectCmd for the CA, and the Requery the CA.

Fantastic stuff! Can't wait to play with it.

Hank

Hi all,
    these days, I write a little, but I read it all .. luckily I have a lot of work.

quali sono le performance delle "virtual table"?
    I can use as a datasource in FormPage?

thanks

Lianja MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by phabio View Post
    Hi all,
    these days, I write a little, but I read it all .. luckily I have a lot of work.

quali sono le performance delle "virtual table"?
    I can use as a datasource in FormPage?

thanks
    Hi Phabio,

performance is the same as any other cursor in Lianja: it's a cursoradapter underneath, like every other cursor (including USE <table>) in Lianja.

A VT is a datasource like any other datasource.

Hank

then, if I create a VT from a table with many records, is charged locally the entire table?

View with VFP I had performance problems ..

Lianja MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by phabio View Post
    then, if I create a VT from a table with many records, is charged locally the entire table?

View with VFP I had performance problems ..
    Hi Phabio,

when working with VFP views, are you trying to pull all records down for a large table? That's the only situation I've found where it's slow, but it's supposed to be slow.

Hank

Yes, the problem is exactly that.. :-)
    In my old application I've used the view as a Datasource in some form.. but with more records, the performance in a lan application are not good..

If you use parameters to pull just the data you want it is not so slow

Lianja Development Team barrymavin's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The best solution when you have a lot of records on the server is to setup the VirtualTable to select either only one or no records then query them in the parentdatachanged delegate.

Code:
    // MSSQL
    create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders as select top(1) * from orders 

// MySQL
    create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders as select * from orders limit 1

// LianjaSQL (optimizer does the work and just retrieves table metadata)
    create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders as select * from orders where 1=0

// or alternatively (which is more database independent and faster)
    create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders as select * from orders where 1=0
    Now when you actually want to fetch related data you can just do this in the parentdatachanged delegate:

Code:
    select myorders
    ca = cursorAdaptor()

// Tell the CA what we want to retrieve
    ca.selectCmd = "select * from orders where custid={customers.id}

// refresh the data from the server
    ca.refresh()

// now update our UI grid section from the local cursor
    Lianja.getElementByID("mygrid").refresh()
    End result == less network traffic which we all like (and so do our users as the App is faster).

Now worth noting in RC5.3 (already released)

Code:
    create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders properties 'autosync=1" as select top(1) * from orders
    Will keep the local and remote cursor data "in sync" as changes are made multi-user.
    Last edited by barrymavin; 2013-04-11 at 03:38.
    Principal developer of Lianja, Recital and other products

Follow me on:

Twitter: http://twitter.com/lianjaInc
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/LianjaInc
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/barrymavin

Here is something I do internally, but it might be worth incorporating in the architecture.

Perhaps having a setting in the virtual table that specifies a fetchsize based on a key.

Something like this

create virtualtable myorders connstr 'my_dsn' alias myorders properties "FetchSize =50" "Key = OrderID" as select * from orders

So If I have a thousand rows in orders and I select * from the table, only the first 50 would show in my grid (unless I pass in specific Orderid)
    I envision the grid would have an action toolbar with navigation buttons and have a caption "showing 1-50 of 1000" so the user knows there are more rows.

I think this could help developers who may not be using this type of logic in there backend stored procedures.

Herb